Qustions about replacing coolant temperature sensor?

My car has an accleration problem when starting. I went to see the dealer and the technician said the coolant temperature sensor is "short to ground" and "misfire of cylinder 1". He believed that the sensor is the cause of the second problem. But CEL is NOT on. I am trying to do it by myself.

1) Do I have to replace that sensor?

2) Are the part numbers same that of VR6 ? as described in

sensor #059-919-501-A 5.53$o-ring #N-903-168-02 2.20$clip #032-121-142 0.66$coolant 1 galon #G-012-A8F-A4 15$ I checked a repair manual. The location in Golf is different with that in VR6.

3) What tools do I need to use?

4) Why can I buy these parts in Great Vancouver, Canada?

Thank you.

James.

Reply to
James

it'd help if you told us the year of your car and the engine you have.

Reply to
Matt B.

Dunno. But it would at least rule out one possibility that by the sounds of it, the dealer will replace anyways. If VW practices haven't changed, you need a screwdriver to pull the clip off the old sensor (it's a squiggly shaped U), lose a little coolant, install new sensor with o-ring.

Dunno. I'd just tell the parts counter what you need.

Flathead screwdriver.

Dealer. Don't waste your time anywhere else.

Reply to
Darryl

It is a VW Golf GLS 2000 gas engine.

Sorry for the missing words. Thanks.

Reply to
James

I see a temperature sensor, green 4-pin, on the 2.0L engine part number

059-919-501-A...same part number you listed before I think.
Reply to
Matt B.

You might have to get the cars ECU reset after fitting the coolant switch if it runs like a dog. Unplugging sensors can disturb the stored settings.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish