VW golf 1.4E central locking???

Hi I recently purchased a golf 1.4E X reg from year 2000 from the internet. I was very surprised to find the car had no central locking, surely a car from only 5 yrs ago should have central locking? I was told it was becasue I bought the E edition, it comes with only the basic spec. Does anyone else have a car, form such a year without central locking? I have enquired about getting the locking installed, but have been quoted a price of =A3300, do you think it may be possible to install this yourself?

Thanks

Reply to
boy_wonder48