Cannot Find '88 4Runner Parts

I am replacing the timing belt on my '88 4Runner and have found that the last shop to do this buggered up the Crankshaft Timing Pulley pretty bad. They broke off some pretty major chunks apparently trying to pry it off (nothing like having professionals on the job). No way am I buttoning this thing up with that piece of junk on the end of the crankshaft. However, I cannot find a replacement on any of the internet part sites. Any guidance in this regard would be appreciated.

I also need a new Fan Pulley Bracket. The bearings have seized on the one currently in the truck. As with the crankshaft pulley, I cannot seem to find one of these on the internet where I have purchased all the other parts for this job. Does anyone know where I can get one of these as well?

Thanks for any help.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

For new, try a local Toyota part dept. Otherwise, try:

for used, try:

Roger Brown

What do you know?

had the pulley listed. Still haven't found the bracket. I will check my local dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Was the bracket damaged? The pulley comes right off without having to replace the bracket. Also, if you have a bearing shop in town somewhere and the pulley itself is in good shape, you can just press out the old bearing and put in a new one. I had one seize on an '83 Toy Pickup and according to the guy at the bearing shop it was the same one used in some Buicks so it should be readily available. Chris whitewall junkie and variation dabbler Mfinja's Hot Wheels with Whitewalls

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

Whoops, I didn't see in this post that you are talking about a V6. I was referring to the pulley on a 4cyl.

Chris whitewall junkie and variation dabbler Mfinja's Hot Wheels with Whitewalls

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

for used parts, i find that yotayard in denver is great. they will ship out of town.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

All that is wrong with the pulley bracket is that the bearings are seized up. The replacement part at the local Toyota dealer is $650. Yeah - let me write that check for you buddy!

Interesting on replacing the bearings. I thought about that but the fellow at the Toyota shop was no help in making a recommendation in this regard. What, pray tell, is a bearing shop? I don't think we have one of those here (Huntsville, AL).

I have found one of these brackets on the web for $119 and ordered it - however, I am waiting to hear it was a mistake because only this one site out of dozens had it listed and it is some 'yahoo store' thing or the other. But, they had a very nice picture of exactly what I needed, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Otherwise, I think I am junkyard bound. Hopefully, I can find a vehicle with a good bit less than the 300K mine has.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

They sell bearings, silly... ;-P Try looking in the local yellow pages under Bearings. I went to Superpages.com, put in "Bearings" as the category and Huntsville AL, and got back:

Not bad for 15 seconds of research, dontcha think? There are also other general industrial supply houses like W. W. Grainger that can order in any bearing you are likely to need.

Most automotive bearings are stock sizes (inch or metric ID and OD, width, shaft diameter and length, type of end seals or dust shields where the rotating part meets the stationary part, etc.) Clean up your old idler pulley assembly so they can read the part numbers, and go plop it on their counter - see what they can do for you.

The car makers take these stock sized bearings and press them into a custom cast or machined pulley and mounting hub for use on your car.

Find the right replacement bearing and the proper Loctite compound if used, 10 minutes at a machine shop with a hydraulic press and the right tooling (and a little heat to release them if they are Loctite'd in place), and you press the old bearing out, press the new bearing on, measure that you have it in the right position, let the Loctite set and you are done.

Don't lose the address of the junkyard - sometimes you bend or break something with the press, then you'll need another casting or pulley to press the new bearing into.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman