what's that noise?

I've got a '84 VW turbo diesel rabbit that emits a strange noise at around 90kph. The noise is coming from the right side of the car. It is most evident at around 90 in either 4th or 5th gear.

Rather than clumsily try to describe this noise, I've put up a sound file here:

I would really appreciate it if somebody could give that a listen and tell me what that noise is.

Thanks! Reid

Reply to
Reid Fleming

No vibration? None at all?

That is a very low frequency - maybe a heat-shield from the exhaust system, or it hitting the frame of the car somewhere? Or a soft motor- mount causing more-or-less the same thing at a certain RPM?

If there is vibration, the answer _will_ change.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

No vibration more than usual. It's very possible that one or more of the motor mounts is bad. There's a distinct THUNK when starting from a standing start, which I've been told is a sign of a bad motor mount. The front shocks are shot.

If there was vibration, what could the answer be?

Is there an online repository of vw rabbit noises?

Thanks, Reid

Reply to
Reid Fleming

Mpfffff.... So, bad strut/shock mounts, bad motor mount - that has it covered all-in-one. Start with the mount, then do the shocks - very preferably at the same time. Try stopping hard with bad shocks - you might find yourself three lanes over by the time the front-end stops bouncing. This is life-safety stuff. Until then, no kids, no SOs, no one but yourself in that vehicle - and only then at low speeds on local roads with nobody around you.

As to what the answer could be if vibrations: Bad wheel-bearings or CV joints, bad ball-joints, tie-rod ends - AKA drive shaft or suspension parts. Also potentially life-safety stuff.

At 24 years old this car has 'needs' - fail to meet them at your peril and at the peril of those around you.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Gah, I wish I'd known this sooner. Just returned from a long road trip where I was driving at 100KPH+ for days on end. Just me in the car though, fortunately.

OK, will get on this pronto. How difficult is it to replace the motor mount(s) ?

I hear ya. Thanks muchly for the info!

Reid

Reply to
Reid Fleming