When will the US get the new Golf?

Nor do I. What's your point?

Reply to
Agua Noggin

Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but the original poster said he was looking for an economical 5 door HB cheaper than the Golf. The market in 2006 will offer several hatchbacks that MAY equal or exceed his requirements for fuel economy, safety and reliability at a cheaper price point than the Golf V. Time will tell...

Reply to
jpmccormac

Nothing, I guess. It sounded like you thought I was saying that the Euro models that are released first there then come to the US as-is. I guess I thought wrong. But then what did you mean by "I wish I knew that two months ago"? What is it you wish you knew? Ah... do you mean that you were expecting an A5 and got an A4 instead? Ouch.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 13:45:17 -0500, Mike Smith in Message ID asks me:

Bingo! :^) My mistake for making an assumption on a purchase that big. I gave the salesman the bank check and signed the paperwork right outside of baggage claim on December 10th. He gave me the keys and walked me out to the car in the parking garage, asked me if I had any questions (to which I said no, since I

*thought* I was really familiar with it, having just turned in a rental Euro spec Golf 15 hours prior in Frankfurt) and then he drove away.

Once I found this newsgroup, I started learning why *my* new Golf was so different from what I expected. Fortunately I love it, even if it is the last of the A4s. :^)

Oh well, live and learn....

Reply to
Agua Noggin

Its kind of a funny story and at least you were honest about it but a A4 Golf is a great car that is fun to drive and handles well and will remind you a little bit of Europe so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

The other thing that is good is that is always takes a couple years to get the bugs out of new US version VWs and the A4 has been here for 5 or 6 years so thats actually an advantage in my mind.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Good car, but kind of a slug, given the choice between a 115 hp gas engine and a 100 hp diesel. The A5 will have the 2.5L w/150 hp as the base engine.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

That I know...VW has been that way since at least the mk2 Golf, possibly even slightly earlier. But not 2 years...I don't recall a VW model taking 2 years to get here...only one year. This 2-year delay is unusually long.

Reply to
Matt B.