Where to after a 92 GTI???

I have a 92 GTI and have really enjoyed the handling and the economy but I am thinking about moving to a later model VW. Which model is in any way comparable with this GTI from about '97-'00?

Thanks for any advice.

David Abineri

Reply to
David Abineri

This isn't exactly what you wanna hear, but... the 2005 model GTI will come standard with 200hp 4cyl and an even more powerfull VR6 engine (240hp maybe).

Should kick the ass of the 92 GTI (16v or not)

Andrew

91 Golf Coupe (Oo=W=oO)

David Ab> I have a 92 GTI and have really enjoyed the handling and the economy but

Reply to
Andrew Martin

I'd say a 1.8T A4 based GTI with the sport suspension is probably the more modern equivalent.

The 2.0 A3 GTI also probably is OK but I'd pick an A4 over an A3.

Reply to
Matt B.

Matt, Why the A4 over the A3. Which models/years does the A4 cover?

Thanks, David Abineri

Matt B. wrote:

Reply to
David Abineri

For North America: A3 = 1993 through very early 1999 A4 = rest of 1999 - present

For Europe A3 = 1992 through 1997 (I think) A4 = 1998 - 2003 A5 = 2004 (well, Golfs anyway because they just hit the market...not sure when an A5 based Jetta/Bora will appear)

Anyway, I prefer the styling of the A3 over the A4 by a small margin, but just about everything else on the A4 trumps the A3. The A3 was quite creaky both inside and out with somewhat cheap plastic bits and the A4's interior is far nicer. I also think the A4 cars are nicer overall and although they're heavier, they're also quite a bit safer in crash tests. The A3s weren't deathtraps, but the A4 is still a big improvement. And being that the A5s are on the horizon for the US market (probably 2005), I don't see a point in purchasing an A3 because it'll be "two generations old" in the not too distant future.

Reply to
Matt B.