'92 GTI 16V What's it worth?

I just retired this car, at about 250k. Original clutch finally went. I'm trying to figure out what it's worth, as is.

Kelly claims a value of about $1,100, in fair condition. But I'm not sure if that assumes that certain components have been replaced at some point. Aside from the original clutch, it's also got the original suspension and CV joints, neither of which indicate need for replacement.

Engine and cooling system are good. Oil use is still w/in spec. The radiator was replaced probably 75k ago (when I slid into a guard rail). Water pump and timing belt were replaced maybe 40k ago.

Body is decent--a few 1/4" or so dots of rust. Interior has held up well, though the headliner is starting to sag in places.

Aside from the clutch, the only known mechanical issues are the master cylinder, which is starting to go; the shift linkage is worn--won't go into 1st anymore; and the emergency brake actuating levers (on the rear brake assemblies) are frozen. (Not sure if that's a big deal.)

Also, the original 15" BBS wheels are missing. I live in the NE and was tired of them always being out of round (much too soft for the roads around here) so I got rid of them and put on the 14s from my '84 GTI, which are pretty beat at this point.

What's a fair price for this old bomber?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave M

Oh, about $5 or so...

Face it, it doesn't run, and has reached the end of it's life. That KBB figure is bogus, especially since the car isn't in 'fair' condition.

Reply to
PeterD

A picky person would spend $2-3,000 to get it road worthy. New clutch, new shifter linkage, new grill, body work, new struts, headliner, a ton of brake work, not just a little brake work, wrong wheels. Well the parts price might be correct. No labor. If someone does not mind a car that the car will not go, it is unsafe to stop, needs paint then maybe $5 is fair. It sounds rather neglected if you asked me. Usually you pay people to tow a money pit away.

Reply to
Jim Behning

No, no. It doesn't need a grill or body work, or any paint. The crash was years ago and was completely fixed. As I said in my OP, the paint and body is in good shape except for a few very small rust spots.

How is it neglected? The shift linkage and master cylinder started showing trouble just in the past 2-3 mos. The car stops fine, though as I said the e-brake needs fixing. The headliner started coming down last maybe 9 mos ago. Other than that, the interior is good.

I don't know about you, but I don't fix stuff that isn't broken. Nor do I repair stuff that's on its way on a car I'm planning to replace in a few mos.

Reply to
Dave M

You say the KBB value is bogus. Bogus for a car in "fair" shape? I know this car isn't in "fair" condition, which is why I inquired here. If this model in "fair" condition is worth $1,100, why isn't this particular car worth even a couple of hundred?

As I said, it does run. (I was driving it until the clutch went.) The engine and cooling system are good. The suspension, and body are good--just a few very small rust spots--no dings of any kind. Interior quite good except for the headliner.

I can accept if the car's worth nothing. But let's not mischaracterize its condition.

Reply to
Dave M

around here that's a $100 car. As for KBB, they are normally about $2000 high compared to what cars bring in my area.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

The engine may start but if it can't be moved under it's own power (which it can't w/a shot clutch), that's "not running". If you can't get in a drive it away, it's "not running" in my book.

It might not be neglected in terms of its lifetime but seeing as there's stuff that needs attention that prevents the car from being driveable, well, that's neglect. Sounds like it needs quite a bit to get it on the road safely again.

Reply to
Matt B.

Not to quibble about semantics, but I'd say "not driveable". To me "not running" suggests motor trouble, which it does not have.

OK, I'll cop to that, w/ the stipulation that I doubt many people would spend money on a high-mileage car they were planning to replace soon. That's why I was surprised at the criticism.

The car WAS driveable until the clutch went. Even though the brakes need attention, they stop the car just fine. I wouldn't have driven the car if they didn't.

Reply to
Dave M

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave M

For what it is worth a clutch kit and a basic shifter bushing kit can be had for less than $200. Problem is you have to pay for labor if you are buying the car. My wild guess is a good mechanic would do it in less than 2 hours but it would take me all day to change the clutch. I would also be changing al the seals onthe transmission and replacing the crankshaft seal. The tranny seals are what take time. A mechanic might take another hour or two to do all the seals. Just a fw minutes to do the crankshaft seal. So now the bad clutch is $500 to replace. If they want to address the brakes it could be another hundred in part. I have no guess on those parts.

Just because some of us curmudgeony guys are shooting down your price does not mean that you could not get someone to pay you $500-600 for the car. Is the clutch really that trashed? The shifter bushings have worked miracles on many a car for 15-30 minutes of labor. I drove a VW home from work as someone did not want to store it at work. The shifter bugged me so much that I went to the dealer to get the bushing kit. It shifted fine with that inexpensive kit even if it needed a new reverse lockout kit. That requires a bit more time that I was not willing to spend.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Well ok I'll agree there...but mostly my point was if you can't get in and drive it away immediately without more than $100 worth of work and more than

30 minutes of time put into it, it might as well be "not running" in terms of how it's going to affect your asking price and people's impression of the vehicle.
Reply to
Matt B.

Don't get discouraged Dave M.

Post it for sale on craigslist.org and see what kind of nibbles you get for it.

Price it accordingly. I personally don't think it is worth over $1000 but you might get $600-900 for it if the engine & transmission are great and those seats are the desirable ones. Worth a shot! ;-)

I think if it was around me I would pay $100 cash quickly for it. BTW where are you! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
none2u