Will a Passat ECU work in a Jetta???

Hi, I own a 90 2.0L 16V (Motronic) Jetta and I am wondering if a 16V Passat ECU will work in my car? I know of a few local junk yards that have some wrecked early 90's Passat's.

My ECU code is Bosch# 0 261 200 858 and VW# 8A0 907 404 C C sound common?

The reason I'm replacing the ECU is because I figure it's fried due to the main ECU ground post on the rear of the head being badly corroded. (found that out a little to late!) The car has been working like crap, and before it finally quit I noticed that it was sort of surging? At idle the lights would dim and the Alt. would go under load (belt would start to slip) for a few seconds then it would come out of it? The Bentley says this is a sign of a bad ground. I removed the Alt. and took it to my local parts store to have it checked and they said it was no good. Being under warranty they gave me a new one for free, but it also came up no good on their tester. I took it anyway and am going to have it checked else where. I think their tester was faulty, but I got a brand new Alt. out of the deal!

Before I blamed the ECU I did all the tests in the Bentley, I was getting no spark so one of the tests said to connect a test light between #2 and #3 of the power stage. It should have flickered when the engine was cranked but did not. It then said to check the continuity between #2 and #11 of the ECU, that was fine. So then Bentley says the ECU is bad. I still didn't want to believe that so I did all the checks in section 5 which checks all the inputs to the ECU, they were all fine except for one. There is a break in the wiring in my Knock sensor #1 which I plan on fixing before the new ECU.

Anyway if anyone has run across the same type of problem please feel free to share some insight.

Reply to
Pat

snip

I seem to remember working on an 89 Jetta GLI that would not start (no spark).

IIRC It was the wiring to the knock sensor control unit. Repaired wiring and no more problems with it! I also replaced the oil leaking distributor also.

dave