02 silverado rear brakes

Page 1 of 2
How do you get the rear brake disk/drums off, I relaxed the cables but they are still catching on the e/brake shoes.

As I recall, there are a couple washers that are pressed over the studs on each side. They are supposed to keep the drum/rotor assembly in place. You will need to cut them off to get the drum/rotor off. Use a dremel, a cut off wheel or a cold chisel and hammer. Other than this, just work it around like you would do any "normal" drum brake set up, try whacking it with a mallet to "free" a stuck shoe.

Actually they are little speed nuts the will thread right off with a little effort. You would know this is you were not a troll. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Fuck you douch bag. When I did the parking brakes on my 99 there was a washer on two of the studs on each side that had to be removed. Obviosly there was a slight design difference. But unlike you, my advice is never going to kill some one and unlike you, I didn't tell the OP to trade it in, like you have done so many times.
SnoMan wrote:

He's probably too stupid to understand that he has to back off the brake shoe adjustment in order to get the drums off.

Are you refering to me? I take it that you are another one of the Snoballs worshipers?
azwiley1 wrote:

Naw, I worship mothballs, doesn't everyone?
No kidding back off the brake shoe adjustment they will come right off

Dave wrote:

> No kidding back off the brake shoe adjustment > they will come right off
Guess what. He'd rather fight.

Rather fight, naw, not worth it, esspecially when it comes to Snoballs. However, to say that by "simply" backing off the shoe adjustment and they come right off is not true. If you have a vehicle that has never had them serviced, as I have worked on, they did not budge when it was backed off. Like most typical drums, they can hang and freeze up, due to various factors. All of which I am sure that Snoball and his two followers (nonsense and Dave) would know about but you three are never wrong.
azwiley1 wrote:

If you're as incapable as you're making yourself sound it is probably better for the world that you're unable to actually service your brakes.
There, I feel a lot safer now.

Explain to me where anything I have said indicated that I was incapable of anything? Please, I am waiting. See the thing is, nothing I have ever said, or indicated or otherwise, would lead one to that conclusion. But just like your lover Snoball, you would thing that. Whatever, in your case, your name says it all.
azwiley1 wrote:

Glad to hear you know what I "thing".

Whatever asshole, you knew exactly what I meant, but are to stupid to follow up with it and actually answer the question before you.

Considering that BOTH of you are wrong this time I wouldn't throw stones.
Notice the OP said he had rear DISK brakes? He is fighting the E-Brake shoe and the adjuster is NOT accessible without having the disk/drum off. All you can do is release the cables and work them off.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Actually Steve, for what it is worth, if you were to read my original reply to the OP, you would see that in part, I said the very same thing you did. I have a NBS 99 that has the very same setup (disk brake/drum parking) and had a very similar issue. Anyway...
azwiley1 wrote:

I noticed. Just getting tired of the noise in here....
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

It's everywhere man, there is no avoiding it. Ear plugs work most of the time. LOL
Steve W. wrote:

Spoilsport!
Dave wrote:

Good luck backing off the adjuster on the P-Brake on a disk equipped Silverado. It is NOT accessible with the disk on.
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York