02 suburban tires and wheels

i need some more advise. if i install 285/50-20 on my 02 suburban, will i lose ride comfort? according to a tire converter i will have a .88 mph change in my speedometer. if im going 65 with stock, i will be going 64.12 with the 285's. i dont want to lose ride comfort, i can get the computer reprogrammed for the tire size change.

i really appreciate everyone help on this newsgroup.

thank you,

Troy

Reply to
Troy Nemes

Troy, with a tire that size, I am guess (a little out of my are of expertise) that would would lose some as the tire will have a very short side wall. Also, it may (would) increase the chance at damaging your rim on a hard impact.

Reply to
azwiley1

Reply to
Troy Nemes

It will ride MUCH harsher and you will likely damage a few rims if you hit potholes, curbs or any other small bumps. The short sidewalls and heavy vehicle weight both work against you.

Reply to
Steve W.

you will also waste a lot of money. old john

Hello, Steve! You wrote on Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:49:47 -0400:

SW> Troy Nemes wrote: ??>> i need some more advise. if i install 285/50-20 on my 02 suburban, ??>> will i lose ride comfort? according to a tire converter i will have a ??>> .88 mph change in my speedometer. if im going 65 with stock, i will ??>> be going 64.12 with the 285's. i dont want to lose ride comfort, i ??>> can get the computer reprogrammed for the tire size change. ??>>

??>> i really appreciate everyone help on this newsgroup. ??>>

??>> thank you, ??>>

??>> Troy ??>>

SW> It will ride MUCH harsher and you will likely damage a few rims if you SW> hit potholes, curbs or any other small bumps. The short sidewalls and SW> heavy vehicle weight both work against you.

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

hey guys,

thanks again for your input. i really appreciate it. i have been told that if i go a 18" wheel i should be ok, since there will be more tire on the sidewall. what is your opinion on this?

Troy

Reply to
Troy Nemes

I do not think diameter is going to be a issue but clearance when turning may well be because of much wider tread area and like other poster said a highly increased chance of rim damage from curb or pothole impact.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

A smaller diameter rim with a 60 or better sidewall profile would help some. Below is a link to a axle ratio/tire size calculator. The tires size function does not currently support 20 inch rims but 19 and under does work.

TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan