96 Tahoe Engine Service Warning Light

Hi,
The engine service light on my Tahoe stays on, even after a full service. Is there a way to disconnect it?
I've tried everything, including making sure the gas cap is securely
tightened. ( AS was suggested by a mechanic)
Thanks.
Geoff Morristown, NJ
The gas cap can set it off, but that's only one of many things. You probably want to check the codes. My '96 had bad O2 sensors (one shortly after the other). Replaced them and no more light. But you need to scan the codes to be sure. Your mechanic should've suggested that. I wouldn't disconnect the light.
JB
Geoff wrote:

I would say you didn't get a "full service" then. Something is sending a code. Probobly a O2 sensor, but it could be many things. Go to a garage and have them pull the codes "diagnostic" and see what the problem is. Why would you want to disconnect it? It's there to help you troubleshoot problems.
Edward Murray