97 Chevy Blazer

How can would I know if the rear end on my Blazer is going bad? Someone gave me a tip to check it because of the sound, but also added that some tired will make noise too. What do I need to look for?
Does the transmission could make that kind of sound too? [a bad tranny] thanks
trollllllllllllllll
--
hank
2004 Chev Silverado