ABS problem

Hi all i have a 98 K1500 the abs brakeing will come on around 6 mph the dealer said it is the pickup ring in the hub. there answer is to replace both front hubs at around $600 just for the hubs is there a less expensive way to solve this problem and can a guy do this at home with the proper tools thanks Cary

Cary wrote:

First thing, are they sure it's both front wheel speed sensors acting up? When I encounter this type of problem, it's almost always only one sensor causing the problem. There is also a bulletin about this problem, you can often solve the problem by removing the speed sensor from the hub and clean the mounting surface of any rust or dirt build-up between the sensor and hub. I'd start by doing this. All you need to do is pull the front callipers off, and remove the front rotors, very simple stuff. You will see the speed sensor after you get the front rotors off. (this is a 4x4 model, right?)
Ian
Thanks Ian for the info when you say speed sensor i assume you mean the magnetic picup wire where its attached to the hub since i think the ring is built into the hub. hell i ve not even had the wheel off yet but im just going by the hub they showed me at the parts dept. at the dealer and is ther a place you can go online to see what the bulliten about this problem says thanks again for replying to my question Cary

Cary wrote:

Here's the bulletin:
Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation At Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface) #02-05-25-006A - (Nov 26, 2002) Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation At Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface) 1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
1995-1999 Chevrolet Silverado (Old Style)
1995-2000 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe (Old Style)
1995-2003 Chevrolet Astro Van, Blazer, S10
1995-1999 GMC Sierra (Old Style)
1995-2000 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL (Old Style)
1995-2001 GMC Envoy, Jimmy
1995-2003 GMC Safari Van, Sonoma
1995-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
This bulletin is being revised to change model information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-05-25-006 (Section 05 -- Brakes).
Condition Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.
Cause The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.
Correction Measure AC voltage and clean wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.
1.. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. 2.. Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor harness connectors. 3.. Place a DVM across the terminals of each sensor connector. 4.. Rotate the wheel with hand speed and measure the ACmV's. The reading should be at least 350 ACmV's. 5.. If the reading is between 200 and 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel, caliper and rotor in order to gain access to the speed sensor. 6.. Remove the wheel speed sensor and plug the hole to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service. 7.. Clean the speed sensor mounting surface on the hub to remove rust and corrosion.
Important Make sure that the sensor sits flat on the hub. If the sensor flange is distorted, replace the sensor.
8.. Apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface prior to sensor installation. 9.. Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub and secure the sensor. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub. 10.. Install the rotor, the caliper and the wheel. 11.. Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel by hand. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's.
Ian
I must say thanks again Ian for the bullitin if the deal was as honest and would share info like this i might even consider leting them work on my truck but this job now that i have a grasp on the problem ill tackle it myself thanks again Ian and all the knowledgeable people in this group Cary