abs problem

Hi

I have a 98 Renault Megane 1.4 that has developed an abs problem over a period of about a year. When travelling very slowly and I am about to come to a stop the brakes momentarily don't work and it's as if there's oil on the disc. It happens mid braking and when I ease the pressure OFF slightly. Now, for the past couple of days the ABS warning light has come on and stayed on but the problem I've just explained hasn't happened since and the braking seems to be fine. I assume the ABS won't work while the light is on. It appears that the two faults are linked. Firstly, what is the likely cause? Secondly, if it continues that the ABS won't work but the brakes are otherwise ok will it affect the MOT test? TIA Phil

Reply to
PP

PP ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Front wheel sensor.

What's happening is that it's developed an intermittent fault - I had one that did the same. One wheel is losing the signal, and there's an assumption that that wheel has locked - which, of course, triggers the ABS. Then - when the speed rises - the discrepancy in signal makes the ABS realise it's duff, turning the ABS off.

When the light's on, you have normal non-ABS brakes - so when the light's on, the car is perfectly safe.

Unfortunately, the light coming on is an instant MOT fail.

IIWY, I'd disconnect one sensor completely - should be an easy-to-find multiplug - which will turn the ABS off as it self-tests as soon as you turn the ignition on. Then look into getting it fixed.

Reply to
Adrian