Carter fuel pumps

Hi all,
My Carter in tank pump went out the other day. I had 30,000 miles on it and just short of two years. It was in my chevy 1998 1/2 ton.
After talking to the mechanic that installed it (In another state now)
I found out I am not the only one with a problem with the carters. I was told Nappa didn't handle them any more because of their failure rate. I was also told carter denies any problem with their pump.
Is any of this true?
Talking with people on a jobsite I am currently on, I found many there also had problems. I sure as hell hate to bite the whole replacement cost for a pump that had known problems.
Dan

Dan,
My 90 Dodge 1/2 ton had an "in tank" Carter pump in it from the factory. Went a little over 100 K miles. Replaced it with a new Carter from AutoZone about 4 years ago. Sold the truck to a friend. He still has it and no problems with the replacement pump.
Al

The weak link in the GM pump design is that it is cooled and lubed by fuel. If you are one to run your tank low a lot, the pump will not last very long, especail Vortec pumps because they are higher pressure and pump draws more power and heats up more and runs at a higher RPM too. I have a 89 Suburban that I bought new and it now has 180K plus miles on it and still has factory pump. I have only run it low a hand full of times in its life and even then it still had at least 7 gallons left in its 40 gallon tank. Typical when I a trip my fillups take 28 to 31 gallon but when on on a trip, I never let it get down to or below 1/4 on gage and usually never below a 1/2.

TheSnoMan.com

Hi Sno,
No I never let it get below 1/4. I usually have 5 to 7 gals left when I do forget. I have not found too many people with OEM pump problems, just aftermarket stuff like mine.

Dan,
I don't know if this helps but Airtex pumps come with a lifetime warranty with no strings attached (their sending units also have the same warranty). I asked my local yokel how many actually come back with issues and he says very few if any unless they have had a 'good life'. I put one in maybe 10,000 km ago now so I'll let you know if and when I have issues.
Thanks! Andrew.
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now at snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote on 5/26/07 7:49 PM:

On Sat, 26 May 2007 07:59:55 -0500, "Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard

Damn bikers are everywhere<g>. 'Sup Dan? -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

the other day! The original lasted 150,000 and the carter lasted 30,000. Other than that, I just wish there was a couple of crooked roads here in NW IA. Everything is laid out grid style. The only time ya got to turn is when it comes to a farm house front porch <sfsf>
On Sat, 26 May 2007 18:45:04 -0500, "Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard

So? Point that front wheel towards TN next weekend. A good time will be had...I "gar-on-tee".
FWIW, when I worked at a Chevy dealer(18 years as a tech)I saw trucks with 50 miles that needed new pumps and trucks with 250k still on the OEM one. Heard much the same from our sister store(a Dodge dealer). These guys here'll probably start blasting me, but *IMHO* I'd go with an OEM pump. I know it ain't a Chevy, but the one in my Wrangler lasted 225,000 miles, and the one in my wife's Wrangler is still going strong with 238,000 on it. I don't believe you'll get that service out of an aftermarket pump unless you're real lucky. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

I want to real bad, but work commitments will keep me from doing that. I am going to try real hard for next year though.

I put a Delco in. They back it as long as I own the truck.

Yea Carter is garbage! Mine has gone a couple of times on me. Got the pump with a lifetime warranty but does not mean much when it costs me $200 in labor to replace a $50 (free) pump.... The current one (third in 7000miles) seems to be in there the longest the last ones only lasted a couple hundred miles each. I would not sweat it but when it goes again get a AC Delco or Bosch.
good luck, mark

My recommendation would be to use an OEM pump. You can get them from www.gmpartsdirect.com at a pretty good savings over the dealers price. I had the same issues with rebuilt and aftermarket new power steering pumps for my 1994 Z34 a few years back. Got an OEM pump and the problems all stopped.
Brian