Engine Swap

I have a 1972 Malibu, 4 door sedan, blown 307CUI I have a working 1984 305CUI engine I would like to do an engine swap Anyone got any horror stories, hints, or comments?
~KJ~
84 is pre tbi so there shouldn't be a problem. If the 305 is running fine I would just drop her on in and not worry about it. While it is out though now would be a great time to change any bad seals or gaskets. The size difference isn't enough to really even notice. The older 305's were dogs but hell if it works use it.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:16:32 GMT, "sidewinder"

the 307 was a rather crappy "grandma V8" ... he'll probably pickup a little HP swapping in the 305.
-Bret

Especially since it threw a timing chain. 8mpg, and no balls anywhere. My current 305 K5, it has some little cahones. What do I with all the extra hoses and crap on the 1984 that the 72' doesn't? Also: 1984 4bbl rochester or 2bbl holley?
~Me
~KJ~
On 21 Dec 2003 12:00:47 -0800, pde_on snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lonely G-Monkey) wrote:

remove the stuff that isn't used on the '72. On my '72 olds 350.. I think it only had a pcv valve and a breather for emmissions stuff. and I'd go for a 600CFM holley or Edelbrock 4 bbl.
-Bret
You would be better off with the edelbrock or holley. I run a rochester on one of my rigs but they are a pain the ass to get set right and they aren't very friendly on gas.

If you had read closer, or maybe if I had been more clear.
I gave the NG a choice of a 4bbl Rochester or a 2bbl holey. I only want to buy oil for this FOUR DOOR SEDAN. The parts I listed I already have, I'm not buying a 600CFM (way to high) anything for a 305 that I only suspect is in good shape (after all the truck it came out of went to the graveyard).
~KJ~

Put the Quad on it if possible. Set up correctly get good mileage as long as you keep your foot out of it. It will also give you better control and allow you to keep all the factory parts. If your in a state/Country where emissions testing is done you need to keep all the stuff off the 84 since it is the year of the engine that matters in a swap. For instance if you were putting a 74 engine into a 84 it would have to meet 74 standards. if the 84 is going into the 74 the engine still must meet 84 standards. Makes it a pain but that is the law.
--
Steve

"KJ" < snipped-for-privacy@psudo.com> wrote in message
No wheezer standards are kept here in the land of the free. Thanks for your opinion Steve!
~KJ~

Whats the laws on crossing state boundaries? can you keep a car in one state under the rules and regs for another state?
rhys

Basically if it came form the factory, you're fine. a good example of this would be a car from florida with extremely dark window tint on everything but the windshield, you'd have no trouble getting it inspected in Maine (where you can't have any tint on the front 3 windows (windshield and side glass)) as long as you can show it came from the manufacturor that way. but if it came from a tint shop, it'd have to go before it'd pass inspection.
HTH, Bret