Error codes abs chevy venture

I have a 1999 Chevy venture van, and here lately the abs light has been coming on. I have dealt with this before in the past on my 1994 Chrysler Town and Country. I know from experience that half the time
this doesn't mean shit. Noone can ever find a problem no matter how many mechanics you take it to.
On my Tand C van, I forget how but you could reset the abs system, and/or get error codes by turning the ignition key a certain amount of times. Can this be done on the venture? Is there a way to reset the abs system and clear any error codes that may be causing it?
I would also like to ask if someone could actually explain the abs system, and how it works. Is it used constantly during normal braking? I was told that if the light is on you just dont have abs brakes, but still have normal brakes which I assume is true since my van is stopping. So, what problems should I be noticing when the light is on because I notice nothing.
What would I have to do with the ABS light on (meaning it is not functioning properly) for me to actually see/feel/hear to actually realize that ahhhhh, now I see that my abs is not wroking. Would is involve slamming on the brakes or what?
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:09:46 -0500, Alex & Tina

After reading a little I realized that this happens more often when I hit a bump in the road. Which is leading me to believe it may be wheel speed sensors which from reading is very delicate. This started happening 3 days after I had taken my van for repairs for a squeaking/bushing problem and all my mechanic did was grease everything really well. Just thought this bit of info may help