High Mount Stop Lamp

The CHMSL on my daughter's 96 Blazer has not worked since she purchased the vehicle used 2 yrs ago.

I don't have a manual for it, so don't know if it's part of another circuit in the fuse panel (though I did not find any burned out fuses in the panel).

Any assistance in where to start would be appreciated - as my grandchildren ride in this vehicle.

Vito

Reply to
Vito

The lamp is fed directly from the brake light switch via a white wire. There may be 3 white wires, or a splice, coming off the switch. 1 feeds L&R brake lites via T/S switch, one feeds CruiseControl , one feeds CHMSL. Also check the CHMSL's black ground wire.

IF L&R lights work, then fuse and switch are OK.

--reed

Reply to
Reed

If the '96 is the same as the '99, then be ready to shell out a few bucks. The assembly is actually a line of LEDs on a printed circuit board. The printed circuit gets nasty and corroded from moisture, heat, cold, etc... I have had very little luck repairing the boards or connections on the board. It is easy to remove from the vehicle and then easy to take apart. Check it out before you buy a new one.

The dealer will get nearly $70 for one. Ebay has them aftermarket for about $25/30 the last time I checked.

James

Reply to
James1549

Thanx Reed...I'll check on those wires later this afternoon when it gets cooler

Vito

Reply to
Vito