New Diesel Fuel and MPG

Page 1 of 2
Greetings,
Has anyone else out there noticed an increase in their average mileage since the introduction of the new ultra-low sulfer diesel fuel?
I track my mileage religiously and commute with mixed driving conditions
almost daily. With the old fuel (500ppm sulfer) I was getting a constant 18.5 to 19.0 mpg with my '04 Chevy 2500HD crewcab with the Duramax and Allison 5-speed auto. Since the advent of the new fuel (15ppm sulfer) I've been getting 19.5 to 20.0 mpg with the same driving. The only thing that has changed is the fuel and maybe the temperature has cooled down some (today's high will only be 80F). I did not notice these increases in mileage the last two winters so I don't think it's the weather. My new tires (which are slightly larger) have not been on my truck long enough for me to measure my mileage yet during my next fill-up.
Anyone else see the same thing?
Cheers - Jonathan

You have it backwwards.
There is less energy content in the ULS diesel
Energy Content: a.. In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also reduces the aromatics content and density of diesel fuel, resulting in a reduction in energy content (BTU/gal). a.. The expected reduction in energy content is on the order of 1% and may affect fuel mileage.
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml#A13

This is true. His MPG increase is likley from drivetrian breaking in a bit more overall. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
You can also get better mileage by changing oils in vehicle to Amsoil Synthetics. We swear by this oil, and will never switch as long as we drive a vehicle. Temperatures run so much lower, and better mileage, and running performance. Check it out at the web-site below. Carol
--
Independent AMSOIL Distributor
Dave & Carolyn Yoder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil
http://www.motoroilworld.com /
Fixx0red yer post, troll.
HTH!
HAND
FOAD.
--
kai - snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Would never use anything but the best, that is why we are using AMSOIL!!!!Why change every 3 to 4 thousand miles when you can run on good oil for 35,000thousand miles?
Independent AMSOIL Distributor
Dave & Carolyn Yoder
In article

Off the top of my head; Because it isn't API approved. Because it isn't ACEA approved. Because it isn't ILSAC approved. Because it isn't GM approved. Because it isn't Ford approved. Because it isn't Chrysler approved. Because it isn't VW approved.
Because not one single testing body or OEM has approved the use of spamsoil in their engines.
That's because the energy conserving ratings on the mass produced oil in question is actually detrimental to the life of your car engine in some cases. Although Amsoil and redline is a great oil, the diesel oils and a few HD oils are proving to be very good too now that people have figured out what's up with the energy conserving oils in question. They are damaging flat tappet and solid lifter engines. Which is why the diesel oils are good now because they still have the additives for flat tappets and solid lifters. There is a niche market now for excellent oils now that the mass producers are basically stepping backwards at the demands of the car industry and government. You can clean everything to death, but those little bit of pollution causing additives sometimes do a lot. If you do run any oil for 35,000 miles you're an idiot.

Well I must be an idiot then because we have been running it in our vehicles for 4 years now, with no problems and both vehicles have over 160,000 miles on them.] So what does that tell you? You really should read up on this oil before you say things bad about it. Have you ever tried it? How can you rate something you know nothing about? There are some people that have had the same oil in vehicle for over 100 thousand miles on the same oil, they just pull samples and change filters. That's what smart people do now days. Do you know any other oil that has a guarantee with it? This oil does! We are a believer in this oil and always will be.
--
Independent AMSOIL Distributor
Dave & Carolyn Yoder
In article

Not a single thing. I have customers who's vehicles have many more miles than you cite that never saw a single drop of Amsoil.

I did. No approvals as I said earlier.

I don't need to shoot myself between the eyes to know that it will kill me.

Easy, the Amsoil site only mentions that their oils are "recommended." They know better then to state that their oils have an industry or OEM performance approval when they in fact do not. Amsoil plays on the fact that there are few people who actually understand the difference between "recommended," "accepted," "meets and/or exceeds," and "approved."

I'll go you one better, I can show you three sitting behind a Freightliner dealership waiting for engines.

Ah yes... If we don't run our oil for 100,000 miles, we are not "smart."

That guarantee is worthless given the hoops Amsoil will make a customer jump thru to prove a claim.

I have no doubt that your indoctrination was performed very thoroughly.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:24:09 +0000, dnysis got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Yeah, based on your newsreader, and choice of operating system, I'd agree.
--
kai - snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Maybe you could give me some cash so I could buy a new computer.

My f-i-l never changed oil. Never a problem, for him that is. He also never kept a car very long. As soon as one of his children bought a car he bought a new one. Never found out about those who bought his cars/trucks afterwards.
Mike D.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 04:00:13 -0500, none2u got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:
<top posting corrected>
message

Exactly!
With the amount of work that goes through those engines and the abuse that liquid has to suffer, I would not trust anything but regular changes. I've heard people like syn oil, but in my experience - all with cars/trucks which have reached well over 100K miles in few years - I'll stick with dinosaur juice.
It is kind of like those who say K&N is the way to go, because you don't have to change them for 1,000,000 miles. Well, I think I'm better off - for my needs - changing my paper filter every 5K - 10K miles. At least I know what isn't going in my intake.
These Amsoil peeps remind me of the Herbalife and Amway groupies - anything to make a buck, regardless of whether the product is good for you.
Thanks!
--
kai - snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Greetings,
While I tend to agree that a well-maitained motor and drivetrain will perform better given time and care, somehow I don't really believe that over the course of about 3 months (when I first started seeing the new fuel) I am suddenly seeing a 5% increase in mileage on a motor with 54,000+ miles on it just because it's "breaking in a bit more overall." Nothing different has been done to my truck in the past 4,000+ miles (oil, filters, etc.) except the new fuel and my driving habits are still the same, so I was just putting it out there to see if anyone else has had the same experience.
It crossed my mind that although the ultra low sulfer fuel has slightly fewer BTU's per gallon, perhaps having less sulfer allows the motor to run cleaner/more efficiently thereby increasing my mileage slightly. But that is only a theory based on my observed results, but I can't prove it right or wrong. Perhaps it's something as simple as the slightly cooler, moister weather lately that diesels seem to love.
Cheers - Jonathan

Yes you have been smoking crack! OMFG Try readingup on diesel. Sulphur is NOTHING like lead content. The process of removing the sulphur removes the lubricating properties of diesel.
Take this Chinese advice: "It is better to remain quite and look stupid than to talk and remove all doubt."

WHAT???????????????? Lead content was a lubricant, just as th sulphur is. Therefore it IS like the lead content of leaded gasoline. The conversion of ags to unleaded has required new materials in engine building to account for the loss of lubricating properties of lead. Diesel engines will now have to be rebuilt to achieve the same long running times they are used to because of the loss of lubricant. STUPID GOVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike D.