Rear Differential

Howdy,

I am going to replace the rear differential oil on my 1997 Chevy blazer with Mobile 1 synthetic. The chevy service guy says it takes 75W-90 but the Chiltons book says 80W-90. Big difference? How much oil should it take to fill, too.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Joel

el Diablo

dont fill it tillit runs out the plug, more harm will be done. fill it tilyour finger tip touches the oil

Reply to
bud8fan

Please explain how 1/4" will harm the differential. And should I avoid driving up hill and down hill as the oil level may change?

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

fill it tilyour finger tip touches the oil =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@spam.not (el=A0Diablo) put the pitchfork down long enough to ask:

Please explain how 1/4" will harm the differential.

And should I avoid driving up hill and down hill as the oil level may change?

Brian =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D lol

hmmmmm........

Marsh ~looks in his bait box.....thinks the Devil dude has been stealing his fishing lures again~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

fill it tilyour finger tip touches the oil ========== ========== snipped-for-privacy@spam.not (el Diablo) put the pitchfork down long enough to ask:

Brian ========== ========== lol

hmmmmm........

Marsh ~looks in his bait box.....thinks the Devil dude has been stealing his fishing lures again~ ======== ========

el Diablo Heh Heh, you don't miss much do you Marsh? ======== ========

Reply to
el Diablo

Honestly, I would like to know how a 1/4inch will harm the diff too???

Please tell us bud8fan??? Please...

Reply to
Shades

depends, some manufactuers dont recmond that you fill it all the way till it runs out, also if he has a drain plug, and doesnt have to take the cover off to drain it , the plu may be a little higher than others, oh and one other thing boys, when you do a job and if you like to keep your truck clean and not want gear oil allover your diff. then why let it run out when you can fill it till your fingers touch the oil, or are you afraid to get your fingers dirty. i take pride in my work and the vehicles i work on. doesnt hurt to check manufactuers info.

Reply to
bud8fan

1/4 inch probably wouldn't hurt anything. Trouble is, the spec is 5/8 to 1-5/8 below the hole if you are using synthetic lube. Bottom of the hole if you are using conventional lube. No, I don't know why, that's just what the book says. H
Reply to
Hairy

plus the fact PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERNT FINGER LENTGHS!!!

Reply to
urb's91

. . (on why you leave differential lube 1/4 inch below the fill hole) ======= ======= snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (bud8fan) answers: depends, some manufactuers dont recmond that you fill it all the way till it runs out, also if he has a drain plug, and doesnt have to take the cover off to drain it , the plu may be a little higher than others, oh and one other thing boys, when you do a job and if you like to keep your truck clean and not want gear oil allover your diff. then why let it run out when you can fill it till your fingers touch the oil, or are you afraid to get your fingers dirty. i take pride in my work and the vehicles i work on. . doesnt hurt to check manufactuers info. ======== ======== I see so much wrong with this....besides the run-on style of writing.

Which manufacturer doesn't recomene filling till it runs out?

Name one Chevy that has a drain plug on the rear end.

So...to keep YOUR truck clean, and to keep gear oil off the diff., you use yer fanger to stick in the hole to feel the level??

ummm.... don't you ever drip any fluid when taking yer fanger out the whole?

and..... you very evidently don't got a freek'n clue what yer talk'n about.

OKAY...... EVERYBODY THAT WORKS ON CARS FOR A LIVING......

tell this dude that takes so much pride in his craftsmanship..... what happens when you go to yank yer fanger out'n one of them lube fill holes after you done stuck it in there to check to see if you can feel any lube at all BEFORE you go to top one off. You know, after you done bent yer fanger a bit so's you could see jest how low it really was.

LMAO at the dude that takes pride in his work. (who evidently hasn't got a clue)

AND..... as to that part about checking manufacturers info..... maybe you should check with a few real techs before you go posting any more of yer home made service techniques, or at least list them as homemade.

pride in yer work.... lol

yer funny.

~:~ MarshMonster ~pump..stop.......pump..stop.....pump...stop pump...stop......pump..stop....pump..stop... I wonder how long it's gonna take before i can feel that lube?...my fangers get'n numb~ . rotflmao this guys silly ============== ===============

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Never read that book. How do you measure that 5/8" and 1-5/8" depth? Snap-On sell those differential lube depth gauges? And what if it's semi-synthetic oil? Do you split the difference to 1-1/8".

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

They do??

Reply to
el Diablo

Synthetica may expand more when it warms.

Reply to
Mike Powers

OK Marsh, go sit down and count to 3...LOL...JK

Hey, Bud8, manufacturers info is one of the LAST places I look when I want to know the proper way of doing something. Majority of the info they give is from engineers that don't ever even open the hood to check their oil because THEY don't want to get dirt and have enough money to pay guys like allot of us in this NG to do it for them!

These are the same engineers that didn't put a transmission dipstick on late model Malibu's! Something about if its low then theirs a leak and it should be taken to the 'Stealer' for service... HELLO!!! With no dipstick how are owners supposed to know if its low?!?!?!

As for making such a major mess with a little bit of gear lube running out of the fill hole... WIPE IT OFF!!! CLEAN IT UP!!! I SO much want to see your completely leak free ride with no traces of fluid outside of where the manufacturer recommends! You must go through a case and a half of tooth brushes scrubbing every nook and cranny of your undercarriage!!!

As for pride in my ride... Pride doesn't mean it doesn't leak! Pride doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty! Pride doesn't mean trailer queen!!!

Sorry if I am acting childish and going off on ya, but, you started it!!! :p

Reply to
Shades

TOP POST...

Marsh,

FYI, my 01 Silverado 1500 has a drain plug and a fill plug on the rear end. I was on the ground, gasket in hand ready to pull the cover when I noticed this. DOH. Should have done my homework first!

Derek

Reply to
derek

GM, but it depends on which diff, and it has nothing to do with the type of oil used. The late model 8 and 1/2 diff which uses synthetic oil has a blue plastic tag right above the fill plug that specifically tells you to fill the diff to 15-40 mm below the fill plug.

Many GM rear ends (late model)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Then if my motor uses 5 quarts of oil with a filter I should only use 4-1/2 quarts when using synthetic?

Nope!

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0OK Marsh, go sit down and count to 3...LOL...JK .

.

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0OK Marsh, scoot over... I need to sit down now... :o) =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Shadetree..... WUZZzzz----UPppp bud?

~:~ marsh ~moves over on the log and hands Shades a glass of Shroom juice~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

GM, but it depends on which diff, and it has nothing to do with the type of oil used. The late model 8 and 1/2 diff which uses synthetic oil has a blue plastic tag right above the fill plug that specifically tells you to fill the diff to 15-40 mm below the fill plug.

(then Marsh asked) Name one Chevy that has a drain plug on the rear end.

Many GM rear ends (late model) Ian ======== ========

How many times I gotta tell you.

Stay in your bay, if i want you talk'n to the customers I'll bring them to you.

~:~ marsh ~i'd fire that boy...if he wasn't so damn good~ ======= =======

Reply to
Marsh Monster