Rust pitting

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Z-71 with <6000 miles on it. We've had a mild winter up here in the northland but lots of snow/slush. I usually run the
truck through the touch-free car wash every couple of weeks...weather permitting. I just gave it a good hand wash and notice that all the chrome trim and paint on the sides of the truck is pitted with small rust pits...all over! This truck didn't have any rock chips on it coming into winter so, obviously, the road salt is eating its way right through the paint. I managed to polish out the pits on the chrome trim, but I haven't tried to tackle the paint problem yet? I can't imagine a new vehicle rusting like this.....what should I do?
You should probably check your owners manual. Your paint should be covered under warranty.

Thanks, the manual/warranty book is pretty vague about appearance issues. I'm taking it to the dealer in the next day or two for an oil change and will certainly bring it to their attention. Curious to see what they'll have to say.
If something like that was NOT covered by the mfg warranty, I'm sure a LOT of people here and elsewhere would like to know about it!
Make sure the service manager knows how steamed you are (that is - AFTER he says not covered!) and that you're prepared to go to the media, and the internet with all the facts....
It's truly AMAZING how fast people will back peddle when given that option. ;)

I'll bet it isn't rust. Reason, the chrome trim isn't steel, it is polished aluminum with a chrome and clear coat. It can't rust. Sounds more like it got hit with some paint or someone was grinding steel near it and those bits got on the paint.
--
Steve Williams

"Rod Dahl" < snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net> wrote in message
It is rust but the source is not your truck. I saw the same thing this past weekend while doing my Spring wax job.
I saw a bunch of little (very tiny) rust spots on the lower half of the doors and I near freaked. Went to the other side, same thing. Then I saw it on the chrome trim (like Steve says, not steel) and on the fender trim pieces (plastic). Good wax took the spots off no prob.
Chuck.

Rod Dahl wrote:

Is it Blue paint ?

--