Tailgate latch

We have a '97 GMC 1500 with a tailgate that is VERY hard to open. We also have a '99 GMC 2500 that is getting harder to open, every day. It seems like
you can't pull the handle up far enough to release the latch. I've lubed them profusely, but it makes no difference. Anyone know what the fix is for this problem?
Dave
Hairy wrote:

ur lubing the wrong SPOT. u need to take it out to lub it in the BACK.