The Big Switch. Part 1, The plan

Greetings y'all
Here is my plan. I have a 1988 Chev S-10 4x4 with a gutless 2.8 with approx 215,000 miles on it. I also have a wrecked 1990 S-10 4x2 with a good 4.3.. the 88 is in great
shape... some rust in the usual places, but appearance is not an issue right now. My plan is to find a tranny and transfer case that will bolt up to the 4.3 and swap the 2.8 out
What I have. 4.3 Eng. ECM for 4.3 Truck for the 4.3 to go into
What I need Trans and transfer. (are there any years I need to stay away from? I know they started putting Computers on trannys at some point ) Advice advice advice.
What I want this is going to be a general 4x4/daily driver/play truck with some towing and hauling any advice as to a good cam.. any mods to tranny to make it better head work?? block work? bolt on mods?
Money is kind of an issue and this is going to be an on-going project but I sure my side job will finance it well enough to do what is wanted and needed.
Ive been thru the forums on www.s-series.org but with my schedule, its hard to devote much time to sifting thru countless postings to find tidbits of info here and there, so any insight you guys can give me in this thread would be greatly appreciated.
P.S.
Anyone ever went from an auto trans to a manual in an 4x4 S-10?? if so what kind of headaches are involved?
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:49:03 GMT, "Rednektek"

Find a 700R4 and t-case from an S-10 4x4, it'll be the easiest swap for you. Otherwise, you could also use a 700R4 from any SBC on the 4.3, just need a t-case also. Unless you want to fiddle with getting the computer control working, don't get a 4L60-E, the electronic version of the 700R4. I'm not sure what t-cases the full-size trucks used, but your best bet is to find a tranny and t-case already attached.

I have put a 4 speed in a full size took about 6 hours no real headache just get all the linkage and right drive shaft, complete pedal assembly, cut the holes where every thing goes. If you are sticking to an automatic transmission I would tend to lean more towards the turbo 350 the 700r4 was horrible for towing I have burned up 3 in a half ton full size towing only 8 tons
On 15 Jul 2004 19:56:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Daniel) wrote:

towing only 8 tons? you're kidding right? 16,000lbs.. of course ithey failed... a 700r4 was never ment to tow 16000 and neither was a 1/2 ton truck... glad nobody got killed.
-Bret
On 15 Jul 2004 19:56:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Daniel) wrote:

Let me get this right, you used a truck designed for around 10,000 GCWR to tow 16,000 lbs.? No wonder you blew up 3 trannies..