part of ignition switch?

After I recently installed a starter in my '70 Super Beetle, the headlights quit working, and after getting the engine running, the starter would sometimes keep running until I backed the key toward the off position. Also, the engine would keep running when I took the key all the way to the off position and removed it. Thinking the light problem may be related to the ignition problem, I took the switch apart from the lock column by pulling from the bottom. I removed some grease from around the switch and found a copper (?) piece about half way between a penny and a nickel. It's only round on about a third of the edge; the rest is cut out with rectangular or square shapes, forming an overall triangular shape; it has raised contact points and a couple of tabs that stick out. It does not appear in the Haynes manual and gets no mention in Muir's book. I have tried to put it back in and then snap the switch back in place, but this resulted in a little smoke. So now, I've got some grease to put back where I think I remember finding it and want to try to put this together so I can at least get the car running again, even if I then have to drive it to the mechanic. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Reply to
KC

There was no '70 Super (in US).

To replace the switch requires removal of steering wheel, turn signal switch and the lock cylinder.

There were a number of different switches; you must get the correct one.

In the meantime, rig up a couple of toggle switches to drive the car.

The wiring looks like this:

Connect one toggle from #30 to #15. The other from #30 to #50 (for starter).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Sounds like the electrical part of your ignition switch came apart. Its not suppose to come out from the bottom. The electrical switch is attached to the key cylinder housing by a small set screw. You removed the assembly from the top of the steering column after removing the steering wheel, turn signal lever/switch and the ignition housing hold down cover. The entire ignition switch for '68-'70 looks like this:

copper disc you mentioned is contained inside the metal housingwith a few springs, a lever and small ball bearings that have probablyfallen to the floor. The bottom plate of the switch is only held inby the peened edges of the metal housing. As Speedy Jim suggested, replacing your switch w/ a new one is the best solution.

If you've never taken apart your steering column, I'd suggest getting a copy of the Bug-Me Video series (Vol-10-Electrical Troubleshooting). It has a detailed, almost step-by-step on the different ignition assemblies and how they come apart. It saved me a lot of time.

If you REALLY have a lot of time on your hands... you can reassemble your ignition switch if you can find all the little parts. I took mine apart, cleaned it up, greased it and reassembled it. It even worked until I got my new replacement.

AshMan40

Reply to
AshMan

this:

The copper disc you mentioned is contained inside the metal housing> with a few springs, a lever and small ball bearings that have probably> fallen to the floor. The bottom plate of the switch is only held in> by the peened edges of the metal housing.>

Reply to
KC