1988 acura 2 dr

I had trouble starting my car the engine would turn over but would not start the mechanic said the distributor was weak he put in a new one and still would not start he then put in an ignition ignitor and car started
my question shud he have put in an ignitor to start with,do distributors ware down or do they just stop//the total bill was $586 including sop supplies $10 dollars for shop supplies
My 89 Legend had an ignitor replaced under recall. I had to go to the dealer for repair. Did you use a dealer?
Doug

TKU FOR THE INPUT THE/////THE IGNITER WAS NOT ON A RECALL FOR 88 ACURA