99 Voyager Transmission/Selenoid Problems

My 99 Plymouth Voyager started having problems the other day with the transmission (or I think it's the transmission) It drove fine until it should have gone into 3rd gear but stayed in 2nd the whole ride. the MPH
needle stayed on zero although I was doing about 25 MPH. But when it did shift from 1st to 2nd the mph needle on the dash, zipped from zero to 120 (the max on the dash) then back to zero again, although the engine didnt do anything other than switch to 2nd gear. Also, I had about 3/4 of a tank of gas and the needle started reading that it was full. My friend says its a selenoid sensor but my mechanic, who agrees its the selenoid sensor, says to get to those sensors, he has to open up the transmission, b/c those sensors are inside the transmission. I've never heard of anything electrical, such as sensors, being inside of a transmission so I am hesitant to have my mechanic do the job just yet until I hear from anyone out there that might know a little more about this or have some experience with this situation. the job will be quite expensive so if anyone has any advice on what I can do, please let me know. I appreciate any help offered. The engine is a 3.3 litre, V6, transmission is automatic.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:27:00 -0500, VigorGirl wrote:

Sell it. Get an Acura. Then come back here and tell us about it.
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy.

<snip>
Your best bet is to post this question in rec.autos.tech or rec.autos.makers.chrysler
There are a number of very experienced Chrysler techs in those groups, and they will know better than us what's wrong.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
I have fungus on my toenails, how do I get rid of it?
My cat misses the litterbox more often lately, she is old and I think she may be getting senile. Can I toast her in the oven without basting her?
The baseball steroids scandal is very interesting; what do you think about marsupials in the closet wearing silken drawers?
What do these things have in common with the post below? The fact that none of them relate to "Acuras", my dear. Perhaps the title of the newsgroup might have clued you in, perhaps not. You should look for alt.autos.crappy-ass.Plymouth.Voyager.problems.is.redundant. That is all.
Guy Weiss, your friend.

I think from her name (Vigorgirl) she probably owns an Acura and this is her second car.
--
Ed Smith
"Guy Weiss" < snipped-for-privacy@wiseguy.com> wrote in message
ok you have what is called a 604 or a 41te transaxle in your voyager. it has EXTERNAL speed sensors that are known to have problems these speed sensors <especially the output speed sensor controls speedometer function. this transaxle has absolute no electronics inside of transmission unless the manual lever position sensor is internal<depends on modelof trans> if the speed sensor fails the speedo will quit working and the trans will go into failsafe mode 2nd gear only.dont be taken by mech that says its internal problem have vehicle scanned OBD2 systems see if it has output speed sensor code. Ken ASE certified transmission tech