Need to replace the Integra inner CV boot on the front wheel drive

Haven't replace one of those before. The inner boot is split but the outer boot looks like in good condition, so do I replace just the inner one or do
both the inner and outer at the same time?
If I buy a rebuild axle drive assembly, does it come with the boots? It that a good option? I hear its not that expensive if I return the core.
What are the special tools required for removing the axle on the Integra?
Lastly, I see there is a split boot on the net that doesn't require removing the drive assembly but the Acura dealer doesn't offer it. Are those split boots any good? Thanks all in advance.
** Frank ** wrote:

-------------------------
No, no, yes, excellent, true, http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#driveline , no, avoid them, you're welcome. Merry Christmas.
'Curly'

Replacing the whole shaft is a better option at this point. Since the inner boot's been split for some unknown length of time, the probability of dirt in the joint is high.
Aftermarket rebuilt shafts come with (very cheap) boots and are notoriously unreliable. I have seen them noisy right out of the box. Count on early boot failure (in as little as six months sometimes), and be prepared to have to tear in there several times unless you get lucky and your new shafts are noise-free the first time.
A better decision would be to call a local wrecking yard. They have large numbers of actual un-rebuilt OEM shafts with good OEM CV joints and OEM boots. Go aftermarket only if you can't locate actual OEM shafts at the wreckers.
If you decide to use aftermarket, remember to loosen the small boot band on the inner joint after shaft installation and allow some air to enter the boot. If you don't do this, the inner boot will be puckered as the shaft is extended, and the boot will fail within a few weeks.

Ball joint puller. A rubber-headed dead-blow mallet (or a brass-headed one) to help get the axles out of the hubs. A jack so the hub doesn't dangle on the bushings when the suspension is apart.
And drain the tranny first if you're removing the shaft on the side away from the center bearing.
Buy a new stake nut and cotter pin.
Ask for more details on the ball joint puller.

Acura doesn't offer such a boot because it usually doesn't work and is a stupid aftermarket sop to people who are too lazy/cheap to do the job right. Don't be one of those.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I would disagree with Tegger on going aftermarket on the Axles. I have bought brand new ones from Cardone on both my Integra and Accord and have them over two years now without any issues (knock on wood). They also have a lifetime warranty so if they do fail, you can get them swapped out.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

-----------------------
To balance the discussion, I have one that has a vibration when turning _right out of the box_. Sadly, I got the shafts from TWO different suppliers the same week and I can't tell which one is the bad one :-(
'Curly'
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in

<snip>
Two years? I'm not impressed. If those boots are still good in another five years, then come and tell me.

What a hassle. Most people would prefer to do it once and not have to do it again.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Well it's your choice... You could pay $600 for OEM ones of $200 for aftermarket. I don't see it as a hassle for something that will take me an hr to do this the next time it occurs. Also it's not two years but rather three on my Integra not that it matters.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in

New boots are not $600.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Sorry I was referring to the entire axle.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in

If the boots are split the axle is not economically usable. In that case you get good used OEM shafts at the wreckers, or buy aftermarket shafts, as I said earlier. If you catch the boots before they split, you change the boots and you're probably good forever after.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Great info Tegger, much appreciated ... Frank