1997 Audi A4 1.8tq auto....lost odometer, but I got it back

Driving yesterday I stopped for gas. While attempting to reset the trip meter I noticed that my odometer was totally dark. I shut off the ignition and turned it back on but it was still dark. DOOM has set upon it! I was not happy and thought I needed another display/speedo cluster. Ebay was going to be my friend again! lol

Searched the internet and saw a post about an A6 with the same issue and it was only a bulb. Opened up the Bentley and sure enough they show a bulb for my A4's odometer. It was easier to change than the spark plugs!

Now my In 01 is blinking! Time for the oil change or maybe when I unplugged the instruments it reset. I thought that this was in the ECM/ECU though!

Just sharing my story!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

how/where did you get to that bulb.

Reply to
Ken Tukyfriedturkey

Pull out and lower Steering Wheel. Carefully pull the plastic trim covering up the two little screws that hold the instrument cluster. Remove those 2 screws and pull the instrument cluster out. Disconnect about 4 wiring plugs from the rear of the cluster and then it free to replace any bulb. The bulb holder I used needle nose pliers to twist aloose. Dealer has new bulbs and I have the part # of the bulb I used, if you need it. Remarkable easy!!!! I did take some pictures but it is in the Bentley manual too.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
mike rousealdo rouse