fog lights misuse

In the USA, Audi sells many of its cars with rear fog lights. Since there are no regulations or training on the proper use of rear fog lights in the USA, it is common to be blinded by a Audi rear fog light
at night time when visibility is totally clear.
I just want to say that I hate all clueless Audi drivers because of this.
I bleed BMW blaue. Which allows me to pass your Audi ass and stop the blindness.
Have a nice day.

I agree, however, my beef is with the clueless drivers of BMWs, MBs, Audis, et al who drive with their front fog lights on, even in the day time, without any fog within 3000 miles. I guess they think it looks cool. Folks, they are FOG lights. Use them only when there is a fog.
I drive a chipped Audi RS6. I have fun watching the M5s and M3s bleeding "blaue" all over themselves as I pass them on the interstate. It is fun watching their faces when they come in second.
Driving an RS6, all of my days are nice, thankyouverymuch.
d;o)

Of course, there are always exceptions to every rule :-) Thanks for your support.

I live in New Hampshire. When I am in Massachusetts at night, I use my front foglights for advance pothole detection. Is that misuse, or wise use of a multi-tasker?
- Kyle

Front fogs light up the road about 10 feet in front of the car. You'd have to be going pretty slowly for any "advance" warning to be of any use to you. Try using your headlamps instead.
"I live in New Hampshire. When I am in Massachusetts at night, I use my front foglights for advance pothole detection. Is that misuse, or wise use of a multi-tasker?
- Kyle"
d;o) Yeah, Mass has its potholes, thanks to the state government that taxes and spends on everything except roads and bridges. In my travels thoughout NE, I've noticed pot holes in just about every state. New York too, and Pa.
However, if you are using fog lights to spot potholes, you are driving very, very slow. Fog lights illuminate nothing except off to the side a bit and maybe five feet in front on you. You really should try your normal lights.
When I go into NH, I drive extremely careful. I wouldn't want to get in an accident with a native, especially one driving some clapped out Chevy, because chances are 9 in 10 that he's not insured.
Fog lights, both front and rear, are for FOG. That's why they're called FOG lights.
Dave
M. wrote:

I know how not to engage the rear fog light... and your little BMW would get its ass smacked by my Audi RS6.
* M.:

Do you think this is limited to the US? Even here in Europe, where most countries mandate that rear foglights are only switched on if visibility is below a certain distance (usually around 50m), clueless morons switch on their rear fog lights even when there is no trace of fog. You would think that since it is regulated and teached ad driving school that people know how to use it but no.
However, i think it often is also a problem that these lights once used often are forgotten. Especially older cars often had a very dim control light hidden somewhere on the dash board where no driver would usually look for it.
Benjamin
I have noticed an increasing number of drivers in the UK now put their front fog lights on (in addition to the main headlamps) just because it's dark (or maybe they think it is 'cool').

I've also noticed that an increasing number of drivers in the UK are using their main headlights when the weather is slightly dull and when visibility is fine. I've even been flashed several times (I guess) for not having my lights on when they are not needed.
--
(\__/) M.

My 2 cents:
I find it quite handy to know that the driver of a car is advertising his / her selfishness, ignorance, self-importance, arrogance and total disregard for road law, and the visibility of other road users. Never mind the wasting of fuel being used to power the 110 watts (+ electrical losses).
I usually let them pass, as they usually drive far too close behind anyway. They do not seem to realise that they, too, are one insignificant individual amongst 6,824,795,583 and counting insignificant individual humans living on planet Earth.
David
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:29:18 -0800 (PST), against all advice,

Are they to let people know you are there? Other than that, I see no use for them.
* Steve Daniels:

They are indeed very useful when visibility drops below 50m as due to their brightness they help you to be seen much sooner from cars approaching from behind (which mean the guy behind you won't ram into your trunk).
However, not all areas suffer from regular low visibility, so the real-world usefulness differs depending on where you live.
Benjamin
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:09:22 +0000, against all advice, something

Yep, that's the only thing I could think of. What color are they? I think white would be most disconcerting.
A bright flashing pink might be good. It would serve the "HERE I AM!" purpose, yet be so ugly no one would use them unnecessarily.
* Steve Daniels:

They are bright red.

As in most countries the conditions were the use of fog lights is allowed/required also contain a speed limit it would make sense to couple the switch with a speed limiter of 50km/h. So the drivers would only use them when necessary.
Benjamin
This is also common thoughout Europe and the Middle East, although there are strict laws about their use. The police officers are not going to be strict enough about it.
A lot of unconsiderate people drive their very expensive cars with the fog lights on. This is just stupid behavior from people who consider a car like a power symbol.
They are the same people that use mobile phones while driving, until they kill a cyclist that "was not supposed to be there..."
Anyway, these rear and front fog lights should be mandatory on every car since many areas are subject to fog and they surely help improve safety. But the best safe way is to force trucks out of the road when fog is around.
LHR