Small oil leak on Audi A4 Avant SE 2.4 V6

There is a small oil leak from the rear of the right hand cylinder bank which drips onto the exhaust and makes a smell. The leak looks as if it it is from
under the rear inlet camshaft bearing cap where I believe there is a gasket. Have tried tightening the 3 screws holding the cap but the leak is not cured.
Have also just changed the cam belt and the cam cover gaskets at the same time thinking this would cure this long standing problem - but it has not.
Thinking of trying to slacken the inlet camshaft bearing caps, to try to lift the end cap and camshaft enough replace the gasket under it. This camshaft bearing cap also seems to include the camchain tensioner spring etc so my idea - which perhaps can be carried out without the need to remove the cam belt etc would save a lot of work.
Has anybody had this problem before, because the leak may not be what I suspect and I don't want to embark on this scheme if ther is another way of curing the leak?
The car only uses about a pint in 1000miles and I would be quite happy to reroute the oil from the leak away from the exaust if that is possible
You are experiencing the 'optional external lubrication' typically found in the 2.8L Audi V6 engines.
We just paid $450 a couple of weeks ago to fix my son's 98 2.8 with the same feature. It had been leaking for 2+ years.
Fix is to pull the front bumper, radiator ... just like you are doing a timing belt. Then pull valve covers and cams. Replace seals and all other disposables as long as you are in there, check timing and that's all there is to it.
Your dealer will charge a LOT more for the same job as it is about 6 hour shop time.
TonyJ 98 A4 1.8TQM APR
ALAN M via CarKB.com wrote:

This may be of help ?
http://www.robsaudiworld.com/2.8camseal.htm
Richard
Richard Goulding wrote:

Thanks a lot Richard - this is just what I thought I might be able to do - though I gather this is not an unusual problem.
The leak is caused by the oil breather air pump blocking which causes high pressure in the crankcase and blows the seals. You need to replace the pump, 5 mins and about 17.00 otherwise it will happen again.

Does the 1.8T have this same pump, if so can you tell me where it is?
Cheers