BMWs rough engines

3 days ago I was at a BMW dealership looking over their new cars. Their 5 Series V8 engine sounded as if it had thrown a connecting rod while it was there idling.

I googled about it and had discovered that BMW had a plethoria of problems with their V8 when they first introduced them to replace their historical inline 6. Looks like some things never change. I wouldn't trust BMW's new engines judging by the way they sound so rough and unsteady when they idle.

I am a mechanic. I am a car expert and so I know what I'm talking about. If you want a long lasting luxury car that won't break down. Get a Lexus.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Well I thought this was all bull given the reliability statistics available, but then I read you were an expert.

I'm going tun sell my BMW V8 today and get a nice, bland, boring, unexciting, Toyota, er Lexus

Reply to
Tom Scales

Yay.

Reply to
BBO

When an engine 'throws a connecting rod' it doesn't usually idle...

Seems you have inside information. The *current* range of V-8s came in in the early '90s and they still appear to be making inline sixes. And fours. And V-12 and V-10. And that's only the cars.

You don't know much about engines, do you?

When anyone says that on newsnet you can be pretty sure they're anything but...

Ah right. You have a couple of old ones in front of your trailer you want to sell?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I didn't think Lexus sales were bad enough to send a salesman into the BMW group to try to drum up some business.

Who knew?

Reply to
joe_tide

$81K for the new LS430L

Reply to
Tom Scales

If you DON'T want to be bored, get a Land Rover.

Seriously, .. I got a 1972 Series III in 1977 and still own it. Everything on it is quickly fixable. BUT, you will always be fixing it!! Always. And i am not making this up.

No boredom with a LR. Heck this July-August while bicycling between Cairns and Darwin Australia I came across a LR driver with a diesel engine. It ran perfectly - BUT had no brakes, nor vacuum for the brake booster. No boredom with it while driving it ;-)

No, don't bother with the Toyota/Lexus - Get a Land rover and you definitely won't be bored ;-)

Ken, Canada

Reply to
Tmac-100

My 4.4L has run strong and smooth since the day I bought it - 44,000 miles ago. The last V8 I had was in a 1998 Jeep GC and it was decent but not nearly as smooth as the BMW.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I agree with this in part. When people ask me how a BMW compares to a comparable Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, MB, etc., I always say drive them. IF you can't tell the difference, then get the Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, MB, etc. Further, if reliability/durability is the most important thing, then don't get a BMW.

Bottom line - drive a BMW. Then drive its competitors. If you can't tell the difference, get the competitor!

Reply to
bfd

Most of whom are idiots, sorry.

While it's true the reliability/maintenance costs on the Lexus will likely be lower, the cars have no "soul". In any case, My BMW's engine "breaking down" is the last of my worries. My I6 is silky smooth, and BMW somehow manages to avoid the "refined=boring" trap that most higher-end cars fall into.

Reply to
dizzy

wrote

FYI, "eastward bound" is apparently a troll that has been posting in rec.autos.driving and other auto groups for a while. At one time, he asserted he was "done" with the west coast and heading east. But, he seems to be back on the west coast, and continuing to show his lack of intelligence by posts such as this. He's going in my blocked sender's list.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I just couldn't agree more! BMW is passion. Once you have driven it you already know what it means to take "pleasure in driving".

For those who don't know the difference - just try it. BMW would certainly not break that quick some people imply here and even though Lexus MIGHT stay in good condition longer ... you would still choose the passionate powerful BMW instead of the boring Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, etc.

------------- Kerry W.

KerryWill

Not that you could afford one, since you're currently in the market for a Scion ...

No you're not. You're an idiot who apparently wandered in here from rec.autos.driving (where I've had the courtesy to crosspost your moronic thread) and a few other groups you generally troll. I've known about you for years and I am about as certain as I can be that you know virtually nothing about BMWs.

-- C.R. Krieger

1988 535is 'Da Red Dog'
Reply to
E28 Guy©

It is in fact "yourself" that knows nothing. I never wrote that I was in the market for a hideous Scion. I was only replying to a thread where someone in Seattle was in the market for one. You weirdo. It's like as if you are stocking people online. And you don't even do a very good job at that. LOL!

All you have to do is look at the reliability reports of BMW, then compare it to Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, and the like.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

It is in fact "yourself" that knows nothing. I never wrote that I was in the market for a hideous Scion. I was only replying to a thread where someone in Seattle was in the market for one. You weirdo. It's like as if you are stocking people online. And you don't even do a very good job at that. LOL!

Try again, stocking" not the same as "stalking"

If you are going to communicate in a language, learn it.

Bernard

Reply to
bernard farquart

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 18:52:20 -0800, "bernard farquart" waffled on about something:

Damn, you mean he's not stocking people? I was just gonna order myself a few to help out around the office :o)

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

On 30 Dec 2006 23:16:31 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" waffled on about something:

Dear Troll,

You do know that a V8 engine by design has an uneven firing interval don't you?

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

He only appears to know about engines with a 'thrown connecting rod' so I'd guess yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:54:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" waffled on about something:

I've had one of those... It was an inline 4 (non-BMW), and that really did have an uneven firing interval... And a pool of oil underneath... Oh, and some strange rattles.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

I had it on an MGB - the first three main bearing type. Easy to tell it had been thrown as you could feel it through the hole in the block. Shortly afterwards they brought out the 5 main bearing engine...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)