Climate control default is ON

I have a 2002 E39 and it is a great rig. I have always wondered why the climate control is always on when I start the car. I always turn it off as
I near my destination, but it is "ON" when I start the car next outing.
I would guess this must be a factory setting. Is there a reason for this?
Thank you.
HC

It's part of the key memory. Make sure you lock the car with the fob with the cc off?
Floyd
wrote

off and then the car is locked with the same key. I think it was a design goof which has since been corrected - but possibly not by 2002.
Tom

My earlier E39 starts up with the CC as it was when you stopped. Seems the logical way to me. ;-)
--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

which can only be done by setting the fan speed to zero with the increment-decrement (excrement?) buttons. In this case, when the ignition is next turned on, the CC fan comes on at the lowest speed with all other settings the same as when shut down. This cannot be changed by re-programming the key memory.
Does your 5er do this? If not, I guess it only affected the 3 series.
Tom

I've not tried, since I always have the fan on. I love the way on a cold day how it starts very low until the engine warms up then ramps up to heat the car then finally opens the fresh air vents.
But I'll check today.
--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

I always lock the car using the fob w/the CC off.
Thanks for your insight.
HC
wrote

Alan wrote:

As pointed out by others it's because of the key memory. Here's the list of the options: http://www.bmwnation.com/tech/glossary/tech_carkeycfg_1999.html . There might be an updated list somewhere for your car.
Anoop
Thanks.

Yes, there is a reason.