Cooled seats

Heated seats have been around a long time, but when did "cooled" seats first appear?
The first time I remember hearing about them and thinking " Oooh,
nice!" was on a MB S-class 2 or 3 years ago.
Reason I'm posting in this group is the leather seats in my '98 M3 are really a problem in the Arizona heat right now; probably not helped by the fact that it's a convertible. If I park where there's no shade, which is unavoidable sometimes, even with a sunshade and the windows down slightly, top up of course, the seats are very hot. Being leather, there's no air circulation, so after I get home, my back is literally dripping with sweat. Sounds like it's time to get a lambswool seat cover or something.
It's gotten so bad, my wife (who's actually the main driver) and I had a big fight as to the probability of getting a retrofit kit from BMW to add cooled seats. Without even calling them I'm 99.9% sure they would LTAO. #1 it's a '98 before cooled seats appeared in any production car, #2 the cost would be astronomical considering it's a B'mer. She was really hurt that I would dismiss her idea so easily. Women!
Thoughts?

(Tom Waits voice)One more goddamn thing to break(/Tom Waits voice).
Get the sheepskins They really make a huge difference in any weather even when it's extreme.
I mean when was the last time you saw a sheep with air conditioning?
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:49:58 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Wellington boots come to mind, but let's not go there.
--
Dan.

Or what about those "covers" made from wooden balls strung together like a net?
Richard Sexton wrote:

I have no experience with them. Robus, right? My brother drove a cab in a past life (he's an artist) and said they utterly rawk but for orthopedic not thermal reaosns. I do have sheepskins and they make the WORLD of difference in summer and winter. They're black and you can leave he car all day in 100 F sun, get in and sit down and not be burned.
Try doing that with leather or vinyl.