do you REALLY need the Inspection I and II if you can replace stuff yourself?

Page 2 of 3
wrote:

Of course it is, but it is a wire that looks the same as tens of miles of other wires in the car, so noticing it would be a challenge for one that can't tell if the plug wires are present or not.

Technically, all one need do is realize there is no distributor with the telltale wires leading from it to the sparkplugs. There is no real reason to remove the engine cover to see this. That is, I could easily recognize this on my car without taking the cover off.

Interesting point. You mean on an engine with a cover the distributor and plug leads would go through it? Can't see the point in the cover, then. Not that I do anyway. ;-)
--
*Constipated People Don't Give A Crap*

In my humble opinion, the cover is merely for looks. It serves no practical purpose other than to hide stuff that most folks have no interest in anyway.
Automakers seem to think that we want to see an uncluttered engine bay, and that if they route the clutter in an organized fashion then put a cover over it, we will be impressed by the effort. The automaker that does this better will presumably get the sale, so they go to great lengths to only allow the dip stick to be found and have the rest remain a great mystery.

Thought the dipstick was now history on the E90 and subsequent models.
Tom K.

The Engine Oil dip stick is history? That's news to me.
yes, no dipstick

Not even a driver?

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

to.
Sir Hugh of Bognor

I hope they have fixed the Low Oil Level sensor ...
I have an E46 that tells me the oil level is low, even when I know it is fine. I changed the oil and filter, and poured in 7 quarts but the light still comes on. Now, I am going to have to replace the low oil sensor to correct the trouble. If I had no dipstick to confirm proper level, I'd have to believe the sensor and perhaps add too much oil in an attempt to turn out the light.
I find it a bit bothersome (and presumptive) to remove the engine oil dip stick. I can understand the transmission dipstick taking a bye, but I prefer to see the engine oil level when I want to.

Luckily, I've never seen that light on my E46 although it came on once in my Z4 when the car was on a mild grade with the level about 1/2 quart down! Be happy you don't have a late BMW R series motorcycle where bad sensors and software give inaccurate warnings unless the level is over full. Since those boxer engines have a sight glass near the bottom of the engine, not a dipstick, the check involves waiting 10 minutes for oil to drain out of the cooler and then crawling around on the ground with a flashlight!

Ain't technology grand?
Tom K.

Or check it before you start off in the morning ?
Nick

Nope. The oil needs to be warm for an accurate sight-glass reading & you'd still be on the ground with a flashlight.
Tom K.

I am interested as I am hopefully going to find a late R at a fair price soon... so I have to check the oil after a ride, after de-kitting and making a cuppa then ? I assume it will not lose any before the next ride?
Nick

It's described as the "oil checking dance" (I'm reminded of the "Fish-slapping dance", but that's another story). After a ride, leave the bike on the sidestand for 5 minutes, then on the centerstand for another 5 minutes to allow the oil to fully drain into the sump. Then check the sight-glass near the bottom of the engine, which on my RT model is pretty well hidden by part of the fairing. It's now OK, as the system has been reprogrammed so there are no more false warnings from the OBC, and oil consumption on my bike after break-in is only about a quart 5,000 miles. Of course, YMMV - but I hope you find the boxer you're looking for - they're great bikes, in spite of their idiosyncrasies.
Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

One word. Surging...
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

One answer. Techlusion...
Or a later dual-plug one.

Eliminated as of the 2005 hex-heads (all R1200...) with the switch from Bosch to BMW engine controls. For the older 1150s, the Techlusion does the trick.
Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

Eliminated as of 2003 with the dual-plug heads..
Tom K. wrote:

Yep. I know. I've been there, done that... Solution is at the expense of fuel mileage. I assumed that since we were talking used bikes that we weren't talking about hex heads...
PS - sorry about the beemer talk. I know this is supposed to be a bimmer group.
--
-Fred W