Drinking diesel 318tds 20mpg

Last monday , i bought an bmw 318 tds as a work a distance away from work, yesterday i put £15 of diesel and within 90miles (motorway miles) it has gone.

This works out about 20mpg so there is somethink really wronng

I would be thank for any help

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Quirky

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:36:39 -0500, "Quirky" waffled on about something:

I'm half tempted to say shift it out of 2nd gear, but I won't...

Any more info on the car?

Year, manual or auto box?

Any obvious signs of leaking round the fuel lines/pump/injectors?

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:36:39 -0500, "Quirky" waffled on about something:

Hang on a second...

How much are you paying for fuel? The more traditional measurement would be litres or gallons, not £'s

In some areas it's almost £1 a litre, which means £15 is buying you

3.2 Gallons, so you're getting almost 30mpg, which is quite possible if your motorway miles are spent at 90mph.

As my maths teacher used to say... Please sure your working.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

My more thursty 320d still gets 38mpg+ at 90mph. Are the tyres inflated to the correct pressures? Better get the car checked over sounds like something is not right

Reply to
AGH!

On 2 Mar 2006 08:27:05 -0800, "AGH!" waffled on about something:

I suspect your more modern 320d might actually be better at 90mph that a 318. The 318 will be working a lot harder, plus the 320d has a more modern injection system than the old E36 318/325 td (I'm assuming he has an E36, he hasn't come forth with any info!) which is only slightly more advance than an old tractor! I can say this, I have a '96 325 tds :o)

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

TRY CHANGING UR FUEL FILTER AND PUT IN A NEW AIR CLEANER WHEN U HAVE DONE THAT TRY FILLING UP THE CAR AND ADD 1 OR 2 LITRES OF PETROL MIXED IN IT THAT WILL CLEAN OUT UR INTIRE FUEL SYSTEM

Reply to
SILVERKNIGHT44

You have a point, mine is the new 163bhp E91 320d. It is supposed to have same fuel consumption as the previous 150bhp 320d, just some extra power.

Reply to
AGH!