Driving 525xi in bad snow?

Page 1 of 2
We're considering buying the 525xi, but I continue to be worried about the car in Chicago weather. We drive an SUV now with 4WD, which is great in snow/sleet. Is the 525xi really good in inclement weather?? Is
the xi dramatically better than the regular RWD BMWs, which I know are terrible in snow?
X drive is good in inclement weather on flat land like you find in Chicago. And yes AWD on all season tires is greatly improved from RWD on all season tires. If you have a full size SUV you will miss the better road view and feeling of safety and stability (real or imagined) from the SUV. The February 2006 issue of Bimmer magazine has a good review of the 5 series with xDrive which would be worth a read.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I beg to differ.. a "regular RWD BMW" is just fine (and certainly NOT "terrible") in snow until the snow depth is such that it lifts the car off the road. All it takes is the right tires and a competent driver. The addition of traction and stability control lessens the need somewhat for being competent.
Somehow I managed to make it all the way to work today in my M3 without getting pranged by one of the many fools who think 4WD overcomes the laws of physics.
While a 4WD may get going better when driven by an incompetent driver - there is nothing 4WD can do for stopping, and due to the increased weight it may well be worse when trying to stop. Unfortunately since the car/truck does get going - the drivers frequently think that any speed they can attain is going to be just fine.
Add in the additional weight up high and you have an ill-handling, poor stopping vehicle driven by someone who doesn't know how to drive. They end up in the ditch rather frequently, usually on their sides or top.
4WD is a crutch for people who don't know how to drive in the snow. BMW added it for marketing - not performance. With the X series - BMW tried to keep some measure of handling - with varying success. I saw an announcement of the new X5 that is due out shortly. The CEO of BMW-NA, Tom Purves admitted it was bigger (people seem to want that) and some handling was sacrificed. Damn shame IMHO.
ditto
xdrive is better in snow than rwd, but rwd is never terrible, except in a shitty american car.
Skill is the most important thing, next winter tires, then awd, rwd... If you are a unskilled driver, then awd will help to get going, but that is it.
I have an 330xi from 2003, it is great but I feel now that a regular 330i would be sufficient in snow - barring extreme conditions, and less $$$ because of the reduced weight and fuel consumption. and I live in Montreal, where it really snows. I should point out I am a very skilled driver, the x factor is wasted on me.
SharkmanBMW wrote:

...true, except that shitty american cars are mostly FWD these days.
--
-Fred W

Just what "shitty" American car(s) do you have in mind?

Probably all, except for maybe... new Corvette or something? Rest is really crap. NHF.
-- nabolji auto je citroen 2cv
Tomislav Buric wrote:

This wisdom obviously from somebody with a lot of experience with american cars...
--
-Fred W

:-)) Since this is alt.autos.bmw I will sustain from starting a flame with you. Only one point for you dear colleague (you drive a bimmer, right?); imagine you Americans pay 5 or more bucks for 1 gallon of fuel instead of what you're paying now. Performance comparison is out of the question from the start. EOD.
N joy.
-- nabolji auto je citroen 2cv
A word of advice. Stick with commenting about things you know something about, like a deux chevaux, and you will not make yourself look so foolish.
You're welcome.
- GRL

:-)) You killed me with arguments :-) BTW, "deux chevaux" is something I really know nothing about...
BR
-- It's a good idea to drive a little Japanese/Ford/whatever shopping machine once a year to remind yourself why you're in a BMW for the rest of the year. by John Burns. '98 328i coupe t.
Yes, and your post was just chock full of reasoned arguments.
I do stand corrected on one thing, though, you seem to not even know anything about the 2cv you mention in your own post.
My apologies for ascribing you knowledge on the 2cv..
-grl

Citroen 2cv (deux chevaux) is one of my sig's, it is not "mentioned in a post". I never had one, I know nothing about them. I have one Citroen, and it is both the first and the last one we will own.

:-)
-- It's a good idea to drive a little Japanese/Ford/whatever shopping machine once a year to remind yourself why you're in a BMW for the rest of the year. by John Burns. '98 328i coupe t.
SharkmanBMW wrote:

And just what kind of shitty Canadian car can you recommend for the snow?

Weird wrote:

I did not start this, but to be precise; Canadian cars *are* American cars... Mexican cars are American cars... Cars made in Brazil would be American cars... and yes, of course cars made in the US are American cars.
Defining which ones are shitty I will leave to the originator...
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

Hm, how about:
"Any Ford or GM-built vehicle, excluding SUVs and trucks"?

Pretty funny. I see you are letting Chrysler off easy.
For what it's worth, I have a peice of GM Junk. 2500HD pickup truck with 4x4. In this weekends snow I needed to move it before clearing the driveway. Put it in 4HI and drove off the pavement, up a small incline, thru about 16" of fairly wet snow. Peice of cake with the Michelin AT's.
My 2004 X5 stays put in the garage during snow. On a few tests with my Wintersport tires it performed OK in the snow, but the low clearance & high cost of the vehicle tells me it's just not the right choice of vehicles when the seriou snow comes.
just look at crash test results, f150, durango... BANG, youre DEAD! CRAP that makes you think you are safe!
seats that fold on impact, headrests that do nothing..... all crap!
the makers have known all along, yet they do nothing because it costs too much to improve quality to save lives. They just build them bigger, not better.

Exactly. And why would the OP want to pay an additional $2,000 for a 200 lb. heavier car with already marginal performance and poorer fuel economy. The 525i with winter tires (Dunlop M3 works great on my 328i) should be fine.
Tom K.
Bravo.