driving in snow

Its going to snow! allegedly. On our 90 for normal road use I use BFG all terrain t/a's and for off road use I use a set of chunky mud terrians. 'IF' we do have any decent snow fall what set of tyres is the best to use? Richard

Reply to
Richard

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a set of AT's

which are on theAlternate steels used for offroading. I also have commercial M&S tyres on asstandard. Which are likely to bebetter in the snow?

Reply to
John Page

Studded ones :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Yeah .. I've had more buttock clenching moments in 4x4's on ice than any other vehicles... then again... the other vehicles I tend to drive aren't mine :-) but I have had some spectacular pirouettes in a rear alleyway on a bank in the snow and ice where I lost all forward and upbank traction... the alley way was about big enough to 180 the vehicle but you couldn't do a turn by normal means.... I ended up doing a 180 and not through choice... the car in question was the nail of the fleet and escaped as the nails usually do unscathed even having used a tree as a pivoting point against the rear bumper...there wasn't even a sap mark on the bumper... saved a lot of paperwork.... had it of been one of the newer members of the fleet I'd bet I'd have dinked each corner and taken out a wall.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

On firm packed snow the AT's will be better because the more complex tread pattern allows more biting edged per square centimetre - proper snow tyres have similar patterns. However on deep virgin snow the mudders might have the advantage. In snow, the narrower the tyre the better.

Reply to
Exit

I used to be able to do that with the bargrips on Grumble :-)

It always makes me laugh when I read the bit in Roadcraft that says that skids are almost always the result of the driver's actions and their advice on the best way to avoid them? "You should drive in such a way that it does not skid"

DUH!

Always ensure you have the new Volvo :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

In the nicest possible way, I'd like to disagree.

Driving off-road, I found BFG A/Ts to be a real liability in snow. They clog quickly and don't self-clear. Driving in snow with what effectively become 'slicks' is not a good thing.

I use Pirelli Scorpion Muds now and find they consistently perform much, much better.

Reply to
Steve Morgan

What's snow?

(6:30am and 27C in my part of the wide world of Landrover hehe)

Reply to
Roger Martin

Yes, but that isn't in snow, with barslicks that's in the dry.......

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
StaffBull

Poor bastard - a land rover and no snow to play in! :(

Reply to
Exit

I got used to their remarkable Teflon like properties on anything other than the driest of surfaces. My rather unique way of getting onto the J33 exit sliproad from the M1 once caused much distress to a BMW driver (so well worth the earache from Charlotte...)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I agree with you that driving "off-road" the BFG AT will clog and don't self clear in "mud". We are talking about "snow", you know the pretty white stuff that falls from the sky that you make "snowmen" and "snowomen" out of and doesn't make a s much mess as "mud" on your living room carpet, I think you should know what I mean by now.

I also agree that your Pirelli muds will work better than the BFG AT in "mud", thats the mucky stuff that sticks to your boots, just to put you straight on the difference bewteen "snow" and "mud".

I use BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM's and I know that they perform better than Pirelli muds, thats in "mud" by the way.

Don't take it personally Steve but I have tested most different types of tyre on all different surfaces, when you want some proper tyres give me a try and I will do my best to do you a deal on one of the better "mud" terrains.

I personally like all these adverse weather conditions as it spurs people on to buy new tyres.

Best regards Andy

Andy Sargeant

On or around Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:41:03 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

only of real benefit on ice, mind.

for snow, most AT or rougher tyres will be OK.

remember to take it easy, although you have 4WD and are thus more likely to get places, it's a lot more difficult to stop, and you have about 2 tons of vehicle if it's a disco or Rangie, or even a 110.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:07:42 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

that's later in the week, apparently.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
StaffBull

I have driven my limo uphill in snow in Wales, the trouble only came when I had to do a three point turn when the going looked like it was a bit hairy for such a big car. I have also driven on th Bylch y Groes with one hand out the window holding a video camera in a hired 2WD automatic. Automatics are better for snow really as they don't do anything sudden.

I have also driven my granny estate up to the top of the long mynd on freshly fallen snow, again doing a three point turn was the biggest problem as that is when things start sliding about.

Reply to
Larry

are the new volvos built as well as the old ones?. I thought that the bumpers on the new ones looked a bit plasticcy and ornamental compared to the 'real' bumpers on the old volvos.

Reply to
Tom Woods

For serious snow work.... Use snowchains!

Not the fancy easy to fit/break, I mean the real steel package. Traction will never be a problem but braking and steering is. Landrovers are heavy and notoiriously understeered in slipery situations.

Jurjen

Richard wrote:

Reply to
Jurjen