driving in snow

'If' we get any snow falls this winter what tyres should I use....Its a V8

90 (auto), I have a set of BFG All Terrain T/A's which I use for the road and a set of Wildcat Mud Terrains which I use for off road. A few years ago we had a Range Rover with BFGoodrich All Terrains on and its was pretty good in the snow. Or would chunky mud tyres be better? Thanks Richard
Reply to
Richard

personally speaking, for the kind of snow we get in the UK I like chunky mud tyres, cleans easily and cuts through the snow looking for grip or more likely traction below.

'm touring scotland in late january (work) and am seriouslyconsidering using a new set of crossply deestones as currently fitted,but as it's a long way (from cornwall) I may go for 50/50 radials.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:53:41 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

in loose snow, there may be an advantage in mud tyres, but on packed snow, I reckon yer ATs etc. should have the edge. The tread doesn't dig in noticeably in packed snow, and the more edges you have the better.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mr.Nice. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I reckon we ought to start a book on there being snow in Aberdeenshire in January!

"On Sunday 26th January 2003 a new meteorological record was set in Eastern Scotland: Aboyne, in Aberdeenshire, recorded a maximum temperature of 18.3°C. This was the equal-highest temperature for January anywhere in the UK."

Could work out to be some awfully expensive tyres....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I've seen it snow in Kinloss (near Elgin, Morayshire, as close to sea-level as makes no odds!) in June!!!!!!!! Badger.

P.S. I use all-terrains, 31-10.5x15 on my 110 and I've never been stuck in the snow with them yet. Oops, shouldn't have said that! The Michelin XCL's that I ran previously were another matter, they'd get stuck in puddles!!

Reply to
Badger

I'm kinda depending on there being snow there in late january/early february. I'm photographing landscapes and I don't want to have to buy 1000 tonnes of washing powder to cover bits of aberdeenshire...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Probably more important than tyres is driving technique. I assume you have that researched. When living in Glenlivet (7 years), it was usual to drive at 40mph on packed snow with normal tyres. The roads are kept open for the distillery lorries (and probably still are) but gritting cannot be relied on because it's ineffecive after the next two inch snow shower.

Mind you, travelling at 40 with large banks of packed snow each side of a single track road can be "interesting"!

I think I've already mentioned the Cock Bridge to Tomintoul road (10 miles from my former home) blocked with snow in June!

Smooth acceleration/deceleration is advised. Packed well frozen snow has reasonable adhesion, certainly better than ice or what passes for snow in the south. Also, we are used to it. If stuck, roll gently back and forth to level the surface, then attempt to move slowly without wheel spin. I have been promising myself a set of snow chains for the last 30 years.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I'm quite confident about driving style, although I've not seen snow for some 6 years now living in cornwall I used to deal with snow regularly.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.