E36 Handbrake problem

I have a really annoying rattle on the rear wheels, which disappear when I put the handbrake up one notch. The handbrake is tightened every couple of
weeks as it keeps coming loose.
Any suggestions what I can do to stop the handbrake from coming loose so often, and to fix the rattle.
The car is a 1997 E36 325tds . TIA
Seized handbrake levers?
You have issues with your handbrake that require the affected brake rotor to come off for inspection. Something is amiss inside that is being masked by the constant adjustments. It may be as simple as a clip has fallen off, and the adjustment is merely pulling against whatever is left intact.