E39 - Snow & Snowsocks

Hi, I own a 525 TDS Touring equipped with 235/45 R17 tyres. I was wondering which solution might be the best for me to prepare the car for the next winter, considering that I like skying, that I do NOT
live in a snowy town and that I have to drive a lot to reach the snow fields. I wouldn't like to buy 4 snow tyres, as I would utilize them just two/three weeks per year. On the other hand I do not know if snow chains are allowed for such car and, even if they would, it's not a joke to put them on such big tyres. An alternative might be to buy the snow socks (www.autosock.com). Have you any experience with such items ? Any other suggestion ? Thanks. Alberto

Your owners manual should indicate which tire sizes on your car are suitable for chains. The snow socks look interesting, so let us know how they work if you decide to go that route.
Tom K.
ajm59 wrote:

The snow socks look like a joke. The first time you reach some dry pavement they would shred and be useless. Plus the hassle of having to put them on and take them off... No thanks.
What I would do is buy a complete set of 4 wheels in an appropriate size (red NOT 235/45x17) and get them mounted with some nice winter tires. Owning a RWD car and driving in snow (even if only occasionally) means you NEED winter tires. It's a matter of safety.
The winter wheels and tires will extend how long your summer tires last and when you no longer need them they are easy to resell as a set.
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

They are not designed for driving on dry pavement, but they hold up on small patches of dry pavement. From the Autosock FAQ:
"During the approval test by TV, AutoSock passed the distance and durability requirement of the snow chain norm (Norm 5117). Nevertheless asphalt & concrete driving is not recommended as it increases fabric wear considerably."

I'll agree with that.
--
BBO, DoD#2101

ajm59 wrote:

As a temporary winter aid for vehicles they work quite well, from what I have heard from people that have used them. The key phrase here being temporary.
They are not meant to be driven on hard surfaces as asphalt etc., but on snow or ice. Also obviously there are certain restrictions on how fast one can drive with these.
--
BBO, DoD#2101