E39 Windscreen Wipers stopping???

My windscreen wipers are stopping for no apparent reason - usually when I am in the outside lane overtaking in heavy rain. I pull over and they restart
after I switch off and restart after a few seconds. Any obvious reason for this?
lviren wrote:

It's apparently a Government ploy to demonstrate to BMW drivers that they don't actually own the outside lane and need to pull over occasionally to allow mere mortals to pass :-)
--
Regards

Steve G
Hi.
Not knowing the year of your 5er does not help much, however, the wipers on the E39 have been plagued with failure, intermittent operation, slow operation (delay), and so on. It is highly probable that this is your problem as well. Some years require that two relays be replaced whilst others only one.
HTH, Blake

Possibly you are going so fast that the rain sensor stops getting wet, so it decides to switch off. More likely the wipers think the car has stopped.
At the harness to wiper motor,clean contacts and coat with dielectric compound!