Windscreen Wipers

I need to fit new wipers to the 101, what will fit, whats best and where do I source them. The ones on it are not original (that doesn't really matter) and don't fit terribly well. They don't go flat to the bottom of the screen, and wipe short of the top of the screen by at least three inches. Now the blades are shot and I'm looking for a good (not necessarily original looking) replacement inc. arms if needed. Brev suggested just making some new blades, but being as the wipers are a poor fit in the first place I don't think its an option. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

They sound like the genuine ones to me...

Seriously, I'm also interested in this as mine are buggered too. Do you have a decent picture of them Graham? The ones on mine just push/pull on/off the splines, so adjusting the rest position to parallel is fairly easy - bit of trial and error. But they spread, rather than wipe, and don't cover much of the screen.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I was about to say that! :-)

My wiper arms are actually fine (the splines are good), but im after some new arms that are slightly longer! That little dead inch or so at the top of the windscreen lines up perfectly with my eyes (thats what i get for being too tall i guess!)

- this makes it hard driving in the rain since im peering through the wet bit all the time!

I have bought some new blades which are about an inch longer than the stanard ones, but the buggers put the extra inch at the bottom, so it didnt solve my problems!.

Once i manage to find some longer arms (was going to take one off and visit the scrappy to see what i can find) I will have 2 standard 101 wiper arms going spare if either of you want them!

Reply to
Tom Woods

You can modify some from a 90 or, easier, go to a scrappy and look for an old Mini.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:26:32 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

why not ones 2 or 3 inch longer? then you'd get a bit further up.

On my 110 I use 13" blades, which is supposed to have 11" I think.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In the piccy above Morph is sporting a 90 Wiper arm on the passenger side and a genuine one on the drivers side.

The 90 ones are fine, and dare I say it look better and less "Sooooo 70's" than the origional.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Blades def aren't genuine. not so sure about arms, but would be surprised if they were.

No photos as yet. Will take a couple on Saturday and send you.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Thats precisely the problem I have too, except I have a dead three inches!

Will have to think on that, but I really would like a wiper that clears the screen, esp top since I spend a lot of time looking into the frame, let alone the unwiped area. I find myself hunched over the steering wheel just to see out.

Cheers

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

The trouble is as Tom said, they put it on both ends so what will happen is that the bottom will hit the bottom of the screen before they are parallel with it. They do this already and the blades are only about ten inches!

Cheers

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Any particular age or type? Are they a good improvement on the original ones?

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

You can get stuff for that these days...

Lee - seen the picture and it does look good. Doesn't appear that it would wipe much higher though - does it?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Not sure, it's just a Warrenism (on mine). Having now seen Lees pic I think I'm going to put 90 ones on, though.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Hmm. looks like i dont have the original ones on mine then:

Tom Woods

or even

maybe i have 90 ones on mine already?. I will have to give an even longer wiper blade a try and see if it fits. I seem to recall that it was either 1 inch larger or 3 inches larger - with no inbetween.

Reply to
Tom Woods

90 one wipes lower than the other one... which If my memory serves me right **may** be an early RR item.

But to be fair to want to see out of the windscreen on the top three inches I'd have to be looking for UFO's (I'm 5 ft 10 and don't have oversized legs).

Incidentally thats how Morph came with odd wipers.. and odd mirrors but I have swapped one mirror. Hope to get a matching pair at showtime.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Ive got odd mirrors now. one standard crappy one, and one nice big curvy truck one. Will look at fiting the pair of full size truck ones i have with the double point mounting bars! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Warren extended my mirror arms for the super-size truck mirrors on mine (they were too short to reach the middle of the mirrors) and I haven't looked back.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Seems you and your mrs have more in common than you first thought ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:34:14 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

extra length at the bottom, while not much use to you, won't hurt. if the wiper is at least an inch clear of the frame at all times at the top, it should work OK. ISTR the lengths go 10, 11, 13 - your probably has 10" originally.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Wassa point of putting super size truck mirrors on if your not going to use them? (well you did say you hav'nt looked back......chuckle) ;)

Reply to
Brevit