Help with rearview mirror problem! please!

hi,
I knocked the rearview mirror in my 1997 328 i (not very hard mind you), and it fell off. the tab is still attached to the windshield, and nothing looks broken, but i cant get it back on! Should i just
push harder? It looks like it should just kind of pop back on, but i dont want to crack the windshield. The dealer is really far away, and id love to be able to fix this myself.
Any insight would be highly appreciated.
laurenlee04 wrote:

The tab and the mirror assembly should have a tongue and groove set-up of some sort so that the mirror slides down over the tab and then a set screw keeps it from sliding back off. At least that is how all the ones I've ever looked closely at were constructed.
-Fred W
laurenlee04 wrote:
    [...detached mirror...]

My E38 mirror twisted on - push on rotated 90deg, twist to fix.
Trade Oil in

Set the mirror in place with it turned about 1/3 (120) out of the actual position, then turn it to align properly.