Key fob / Immobilizer

Hi my bmw 318 ci would not start at all when i turned the key. The lights on the dash board came on and nothing. I locked the car then when I pressed the
button on the key fob the car would not unlock. Then it did unlock then the light never came on.
I called for assistance then the key worked I unlocked the car the light came on and the car started but the clok has reset. Any ideas of whether this could be the car or the key??