Minor gripe.

Why oh why did BMW in their wisdom fit a brown plastic level indicator on the end of the engine oil dipstick on my '97 528i.? Or was it originally a much lighter colour that has been stained over the years? Being almost the same colour as the oil, the level is not easily read, even after wiping it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I too can often be found wandering around the gas station at night - trying to find a place with enough light to see the dipstick.

Reply to
Jack

Use a little sandpaper and sand it down to get some shiney metal?

Josh Assing

Basically you shouldn't need it? After a few checks I found mine never needed any oil between changes. And IIRC they all have low oil level warning indicators - check it works at next oil change time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hadn't thaught of that. Maybe that's why BMW provide a torch. :-) Personally I never check tyre pressures, oil and water levels at garages, but as far as the oil level is concerned I find it difficult enough in broad daylight. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Mine is the same, but I'm old fashioned enough to want to look under the bonnet at least once a week. If only to check everything is as it should be. Levels, oil leaks, nothing falling off etc.

And IIRC they all have low oil level

I'll do that If I remember. I'm surprised though that with all the other 'gimmicks' that _are_ fitted. Dimming mirrors, heated washer jets, automatic wipers, etc, that they haven't got round to fitting under bonnet lighting like that on the higher spec Rover SD1's. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That's a good question.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That isn't gonna happen.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

OR, white plastic for the dip stick end ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Ralph Griffith