Minor gripe.

Why oh why did BMW in their wisdom fit a brown plastic level indicator on the end of the engine oil dipstick on my '97 528i.? Or was it originally a much lighter colour that has been stained over the
years? Being almost the same colour as the oil, the level is not easily read, even after wiping it. Mike.
I too can often be found wandering around the gas station at night - trying to find a place with enough light to see the dipstick.

Use a little sandpaper and sand it down to get some shiney metal?

That isn't gonna happen.

I hadn't thaught of that. Maybe that's why BMW provide a torch. :-) Personally I never check tyre pressures, oil and water levels at garages, but as far as the oil level is concerned I find it difficult enough in broad daylight. Mike.

Basically you shouldn't need it? After a few checks I found mine never needed any oil between changes. And IIRC they all have low oil level warning indicators - check it works at next oil change time.
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Mine is the same, but I'm old fashioned enough to want to look under the bonnet at least once a week. If only to check everything is as it should be. Levels, oil leaks, nothing falling off etc.
And IIRC they all have low oil level

I'll do that If I remember. I'm surprised though that with all the other 'gimmicks' that _are_ fitted. Dimming mirrors, heated washer jets, automatic wipers, etc, that they haven't got round to fitting under bonnet lighting like that on the higher spec Rover SD1's. Mike.

OR, white plastic for the dip stick end ...
That's a good question.

First of all, let me congratulate you on the question........!