Minor window fault

'98 E39 Radio type ign key When I press and hold button 1, all the windows open as they're supposed to. However, holding button 2 doesn't close the windows as it should.
I'm not that fussed, but if it's a simple fix, I'll fix it. TIA. Mike.

I don't think it works that way. Checking my '03's owners manual, there's no provision for this on the lock button, only the convenience opening mode on button #1. It's possible the UK car is set up differently than the US (where we're all prisoners to the whims of litigators).
R / John

You're possibly right about there being a difference with US cars. I know it should work this way in the UK. I have two E39's. Both 528i's, and both Owners Handbooks confirm that the windows should be able to be opened or closed, using buttons 1 and 2. Mike.

Ditto with mine - I had a 97 523i and that worked correctly - holding the button for a an extra couple of seconds would result in the windows closing. Be interested to know why (it appears) this function doesn't work on the later car (01 530i).
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]