Pissed off - on a scale of 1-10: about 8.5

Page 2 of 2

I had a bronze 735i sprayed once. It was more gold coloured afterwards (as you could tell by looking on the inside of panels etc., but on the outside it all matched perfectly, and if anything the finish was better, although a little soft.
The advantage of a bonnet is that it can be taken off, sprayed and baked. Given silver looks different from different angles don't worry too much about a match.

All pro paint is baked these days. The complete car goes in an oven. It's water based and would take ages to dry otherwise.
--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:51:54 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Eh! Not really Dave - water based paint is kind of "Blow Dry" -
Sir Hugh of Bognor

You'll need to explain this. The 'oven' will obviously have air circulation to aid the drying process, but it's the heat which does the main work. Otherwise they'd do it at ambient temp and save the not inconsiderable cost.
--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:32:36 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Yes actually that's it a giant hair dryer assembly - not much heat with water based paints. The Spray booths are being re-kitted to accommodate the new technology of water based paints. Thinners are actually distilled water (pure) and not much is used as the paint is generally close to spraying viscosity from the tin. Sometimes the paint is heated slightly as one would do with commercial enamels (coach paint as used on commercial vehicles ICI called it BELCO IIRC?).
The "oven" or drying chamber as it is now has warm air blowing on the painted parts to "cure" or "dry" the paint.
The old 2 pack Acrylics are being phased out as are the low bake additives but I can't tell you the time scale but I do know that Cellulose or rather Nitro-Cellulose paint will be phased out within 10 years possibly 8 and the 2 pack Iso-Cyonates are banned now (I think) but someone else can put us right on this.
Sir Hugh of Bognor
Question should be "why not tenty-one", to be consistent.
Oddly (oddly, geddit, 11 is an odd number) you could ask a similar or related question in other languages
DAS
"Dave Plowman (News)" < snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...
London SW

Never the less the whole car goes in an oven. I've just had one car done. Car trim materials have to stand very high temperatures anyway - just what do you think happens when you leave your car in the sun on a hot day?
--
*Windows will never cease *

Fading...
DAS
"Dave Plowman (News)" < snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

being 'set' with a portable wall of infra-red lamps - and this was in the open area. No oeven for this one.

www.fabdirect.com Not cheap but I'll bet they have the right part in the correct colour
JB
Bimmers don't have any priviledge over anybody else. Full stop. Don't complain about that. Should you have made reference to the pavement in your comparison, it'd have been better.
However, I perfectly understand your rage and I sympathize with you. It's never a pleasure to get one's car damaged even with a barely visible mark.
I hope you will find a good painter. Does your insurance company cover this damage ? If yes, don't let them choose the workshop. Good luck

Why not? As long as it's a manufacturer's approved bodyshop? Not every main dealership's garage has its own bodyshop anyway!
Could save a lot of hassle with payments.
DAS
"frischmoutt" < snipped-for-privacy@ici.com> wrote in message
news:45b52002$0$5093$ snipped-for-privacy@news.orange.fr...
By experience, when I let my car to the insurance agreed garage, often not a 'big' workshop but an independant with 2 or 3 guys and limited facilities, he prefers to perform handwork instead of changing the parts. Far less expensive for him but same hole in the wallet with the result of a pretty lower quality. It's the same with the paint: orange skin. I had once to complain to the company asking him to redo the job.
Last time I had a dent with the Z3, I let the car in Monaco. The other company was paying the bill ! Perfect work.
There's a big difference between 'insurance company approved' and 'manufacturer approved' !
Bye

I'd agree. But not in the way you'd think. I've just had my 'other' car resprayed and the paint finish on that is far superior to the factory one on my E39 which is poor.
--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

I had a scrape on the rear wing done at my main dealer. Paid for it myself - wasn't worth losing my no claims bonus. They farm it out - but everything is done through them. The colour match was poor and you could see sanding marks under the paint. I eventually settled for most of the cost back. Recently I had two further scrapes on the same side done which the insurance paid for and I got them to do that wing as well which I paid for. Perfect match. But not a main dealer...
As an aside, no car I've ever owned has suffered so much damage as this one. Always happens when parked - I've never hit anything with it.
--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

E.g. I had to have a side-panel respray (black metallic, another famous German brand) under insurance. Choice was to go
a) with the insurer (Norwich Union)-nominated bodyshop and have no paperwork involvement including the courtesy car (just needed to pay the excess) or
b) via the main dealer, get a quote, approval and various hassles and I did not even ask about the courtesy car...
I chose (a) especially when I discovered that the insurer's bodyshop was one of two in the area used as contractor by the main dealer.
No hassle, no fuss, satisfactory job.
DAS
"Dave Plowman (News)" < snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...
frischmoutt wrote:

Yes - my insurance covers it They selected my main BMW dealership - so I'll not be arguing there!!!