Re: Radio Removal E39

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E39-5-Series-Business-RDS-Radio-Tape-Player_W0QQitemZ4605429853QQcategoryZ10374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ).
Toby,
The TIS for this model includes the following instructions:
- Remove knob from volume control. - Insert screwdriver (5.5) into slot (*) approx. 1 mm and turn 90 degrees. - Hook special tool (**) into cassette socket and pull out radio.
(5.5) mm blade size? (*) this is the slot shown in your second photo, above the spindle. (**) this is a large hooked piece of (probably) plastic that gives you something to pull on. Perhaps a couple of smooth-bladed knives, either side of the unit, would be OK to lever it out.
Hope this helps. Chris.
Thanks Chris - now I have confirmation that the only latch is released by the screwdriver in the hole trick, I'm sure I can jemmy it out somehow.

Toby Thornton wrote:

Just stick your fingers inside the cassette hole to grab the deck and pull it out (after releasing the latch)
--
-Fred W