Replacing brake pads and discs

Page 2 of 2
"Newsposter" wrote

Sure. It all depends on your driving habits.
Change the brake fluid while you're at it if it has been at least 2 years since your last brake fluid change.
Pete

Good idea to change the brake fluid. I think it was last changed a couple of years ago.
Hi,
I an in the UK and I have a 1999 316i (E46) with 42,000 miles on the clock. I have been told that I need to replace brake pads and discs front and rear. Is this usal for an 8 year old car given the low millage?. The cheapest quote I've had is about 390 (dealer price about 500). Is this reasonable?.
Thanks for any info.
I would expect pads almost any time. If you turn the wheels to lock you can usually check the thickness of the front pads.
Front disks would be wearing by 42k, although it suggests the car has had a hard life.
I don't think the rear disks are ventilated on your model, and I am surprised that they are required at this mileage.
390 is dear for what is a pretty routine job.
I wouldn't have thought using BMW parts would be too critical on a 316i, so you can save yourself some money by buying aftermarket parts (not the cheapest though).
It is possible DIY, but you will probably need to bleed the brakes and be confident you got it right.

Not so. Plenty will need new discs at 40 odd k miles with normal use - especially if an auto.
--
*Plagiarism saves time *

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

is no need to bleed

Probably should have said "may" need to bleed them.

If the system has been topped up with worn pads the fluid will overflow the reservoir when you push the pads back - and brake fluid will remove paint unless washed off with large amounts of water. Best to remove some before to prevent this happening.
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

When I picked up my M3, BMW (dealer) had put new discs and pads on and the brake fluid was oosing out of the master cylinder. They seemed perplexed when I asked them to clean it up. This was just part of a catalog of incompetencies, at several different dealers so in the end it's back to doing the work myself.

I know *exactly* what you mean. Mine went in for an oil service - early - so I could get them to fix a leak from the steering. Which had deposited fluid down the engine and on the tray, as well as the pipe it was leaking down - the usual failed crimp on the hose from the reservoir, for which they charged 70 gbp extra. They hadn't cleaned the engine, hose or tray. And after they had (for free) it was obvious they hadn't removed the hose as it said on the invoice as the crimp was old and untouched. Nor had they changed the oil or filter - the oil level was where it was when it went in, about half way between max and min. The oil filter canister didn't look like it had been touched either. But they had charged for an oil service as well, and had valeted the car.
I replaced the crimp with a worm drive clip myself.
--
*Starfishes have no brains *