Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures

Page 9 of 14
jim beam wrote:

Yawn..............................................................

enough left over to pay them.
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 18:37:20 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Regarding cost, it seems we can get aftermarket parts for about $100; and the part at the BMW dealership cost about $175.
Regarding repair, some have intimated that unpotting and resoldering is a solution.
If that's true, then that might be a viable "fix".
However, I must ask: If it works without potting, and especially if the potting is what's causing the problem, then what was the original purpose of the potting in the first place?
On 03/28/2013 06:31 AM, Bimmer Owner wrote:

that's bogus. unless there's been a MAJOR screw-up, potting compounds are carefully matched to the thermal and chemical application - they serve to increase reliability, not degrade it.

--
fact check required

jim beam wrote:

How many deigns have you selected the proper potting compounds for? What types of filler materials? How did you verify that no moisture would be trapped inside the potting? Did you verify the temperature coefficient of very component, the PC board material and the housing? Test it for extended periods over the entire temperature, humidity and barometric conditions that it can encounter in service. how about vibration & impact testing? Or are you just blowing more smoke out your ass.

enough left over to pay them.

wtf is eating your ass tonight? you're right that all those factors are relevant. that's why i said potting compounds are "carefully matched".
as to moisture, you're attacking a straw man. i specifically didn't list every possible application detail because it's common knowledge to anyone doing that work. nobody specifies that any more than mechanical drawings specify conventional right-hand threading on fasteners. /all/ fasteners are right hand threaded UNLESS left hand is specifically detailed.
--
fact check required

jim beam wrote:

Yawn..............................................................

enough left over to pay them.
jim beam wrote:

Let me offer you some good advice, put him on your black list so it won't eat you up. I only see him in replies now, like yours here because I have block him out of my reader.
He's nothing but an old bickering dried up prone. In his younger years he most likely good off on little kids learning the field and made him feel like he was something else when he offered any knowledge that he thought was useful to them. These days, the little kids have grown up and most likely found out that half the information he fed them was bogus!
Don't worry about what he has to say, he's one of those that wants every one like you, to kiss is feet and say how much of a god he is.
It should be obviously that will never happen from this end :)
Jamie
Jamie wrote:

Keep up the slander Maynard. I taught first year high school electronics while I was still a Junior in that school. After that, I trained new techs to use what they learned in school on the repair benchg so they could earn a living. I was still doing this at Microdyne, till the closed the local telemetry 'engineer to order' facility.
The rest of my work history is online, along with my military service with AFRTSwhich is availible to anyone with the DOD records database. Maynard refuses to tell anyone where he works. He just damns everyone else.

The irony! I was 'black list' by an illiterate troll. All I can do is laugh at the nonsense writing 'style' of someone who consistently makes a fool of himself on news:sci.electronics.design He thinks an 'Electret' microphone is a 'crystal' microphone. His real name is Maynard Philbrick. A typical appliance operator 'ham' with the call of KA1LPA. look at his website to see what a sick individual he is. http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5/ if you have the stomach for childish dirvel.

enough left over to pay them.

it's drivel, not "dirvel".
as to your apparent feud, i don't know either you or jamie - i only read r.a.t and neither of you are regular contributors. i will say though that given my interactions so far, he's fine. you're not. and fyi, publishing someone else's personal details on usenet is seriously huge asshole behavior. you can be a retard and publish your own personals all you want, but someone else's is /WAY/ out of line.
--
fact check required

jim beam wrote:

publishing my details in the manner in which he does. What he seems to be very ignorant about is his willingness to incriminate himself.
Have fun and enjoy his ranting, he's a real party popper.
Adios amigo...
Jamie
Jamie wrote:

Yawn..............................................................

enough left over to pay them.
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:35:09 -0700, jim beam wrote:

I wasn't sure how to cross reference using that list. For example, it had only one BMW entry (camera module); and it did not have GKR or Sitronic or Valeo brands; nor the keywords FSU, nor FSR; but it did have things titled "blower motor controller), e.g.,
FORD F50F-19E624 heater blower motor controller ('97 L. CONNIE) 1
On 03/28/2013 06:28 AM, Bimmer Owner wrote:

maybe it's similar, maybe it's not. the fact that each of the different unit manufacturers has different internals and that they've changed over time doesn't help you.
--
fact check required

Bimmer Owner wrote:

>>http://www.bomarc.org/basement/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6&sid e707756ef37b24ff5aa633f1b4548a>

The lists are a partial offering of what they have done. I would ask if they have done the specific board in the controller, or the estimated costs to reverse engineer it. The website states a $20 per hour charge.

enough left over to pay them.

Dental picks are probably expensive. I picked up a nice 4 piece pick kit somewhere a couple years ago for maybe 5 bucks. Just came in handy for digging out a crumbling plastic hose nipple threaded into an aluminum intake manifold. My Dremel kit was pretty expensive, but hey.
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:42:51 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

These photos show both sides. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t09399
Nothing was removed, so I can't figure out WHAT you guys are saying is the transistor removed.
Can you circle one of these pictures to show WHERE you think something was removed?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid67580&d 63957253 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid63800&stc=1&d 61831815 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid63808&stc=1&d 61837887
Bimmer Owner wrote:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid67580&d 63957253

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid63800&stc=1&d 61831815 Do you see the two groups of three empty holes on the right side? They look like cracked solder joints on TO-220 packages which could be semiconductors or power resistors.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid63808&stc=1&d 61837887
You can see the leads in those holes, in this photo. They look cracked. That is a common failure due to stress caused by uneven heating of potted components.

enough left over to pay them.
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:24:13 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I doubt anything was removed since all the authors of those pictures are expressly NOT trying to remove anything.
Those round metal "dots" in the pictures are the five pin connectors of the harness connector.

Are there any other pictures of the module showing if or where the transistors are attached to the heat sink?
Has anyone ever fully dissected the unit so you can see what is under the PC board? Maybe an X-ray from several angles done at the dentist?

All I have are the following: These photos show both sides. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t09399